Updated on September 11, 2012
After making a few raw desserts, I’ve come to find out that I am in love with the crusts. They are so simple, usually made up of only dates and raw almonds, but I wanted to take it a step further and create breakfast/snack bars out of them! So, for this week’s Raw Wednesday feature I decided to elaborate on the ol’ date and almond combo and add in some seasonal warmth and produce.
Ingredients (makes 12-15 servings)
- 2 Cups Raw Almonds, Soaked for 4 hours
- 1 1/2 Cups Dates, Pitted & Soaked for an hour or more
- 3/4 Cup Date Soaking Water
- 1/3 Cup Ground Flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp. Raw Agave Nectar
- 2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Apple, diced
- Drain water from almonds and dates, but save the date water. Place almonds, dates, ground flaxseed, date water, cinnamon, and agave into a food processor; pulse until the almonds are in tiny pieces, but are not creamy. Add in diced apple and pulse until the apple pieces are a little smaller and combined well with the almond mixture.
- Spread the mixture on one or two Paraflex dehydrator (depending on the size) sheets, about 1/4-1/2” high. Slice into desired-sized pieces and dehydrate overnight, or roughly 9 hours, at 110F. After that, pull the pieces carefully off of the sheet and turn them over onto just the mesh screen; dehydrate for another 10 hours at 105F.
- Take them out of the dehydrator and store them in your refrigerator. Mine are in a tupperware container with a moisture absorbing packet so that they last a little longer.