I. Love. Desserts. So much so, that I’m pretty sure I don’t have an imposing sweet tooth, I have sweet TEETH. I love making elaborate desserts, cupcakes with fillings and interesting icing, layered cakes, and beautiful pies. But, there is a time and place for all of these and when you’re pressed for time and hankering something that you won’t regret you need something fast and healthy.
Today, I have for you a few different fruit snacks and desserts that I’ve made lately that I absolutely love. You could also get away with preparing these dishes for a small get together, and fooling them into thinking that you are a culinary genius!
First up, a comforting and warm apple dessert; this dish is much like a deconstructed version of the Cran Apple Pie that I made the other day. But, there are a few things different here, less ingredients, single-serving portion, and even healthier!
- 1 Apple, cored and sliced into wedges
- 1 1/2 tsp. Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- Place sliced apples in circular motion on a small, microwave-safe plate. Sprinkle cranberries and cinnamon on top, then drizzle with maple syrup. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, take out and let sit for a few minutes; the water in the apples retains the heat very well so it will be super hot! Enjoy with a nice glass of Riesling if you’re that kind of thing.
Next up, a dessert that I made on a complete whim that turned out better than I could have ever anticipated! I know it’s not much to look at, but warm bananas topped with chocolate-y goodness make a seriously great dessert (even better to share with two others!).
- 1 Banana, Sliced Lengthwise into 3
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Mini Chocolate Chips, I use Enjoy Life Mini Chips
- 1 tsp. Apple Syrup, Maple Syrup or Agave Nectar
- Lay banana slices flat and sprinkle chocolate chips over them, drizzle the syrup/nectar on top. Microwave for 45-60 seconds, let cool for a minute or two and try not to gobble them up in under 30 seconds. It’s nearly impossible, I assure you.
Last, but definitely not least, the easy to prep (and eat) apple slices with creamy peanut butter. This is one of my favorite post-workout snacks because it has a lot of protein, but is still relatively light; not to mention the combination of sweet, crisp apples and smooth, salty peanut butter is AMAZING! Instead of using just one apple and 2 tbsp. of peanut butter, you could slice up a couple of apples and make a peanut butter dip for a great appetizer or dinner party dessert.
Now, go on, eat healthy my friends! At least until the extravagant holiday desserts come around.