Let me start off my saying that today is the first day of Vegan MOFO (Vegan Month of Food) AND World Vegetarian Day! So, this month, I’ll be posting more frequently and my theme with be a Month of Grains. What better way to start it off with a post on quinoa and a giveaway? Yes, I know that quinoa is a seed, but it is still considered a whole grain, which are the type of grains that I’ll me making recipes with all month.
When I was asked if I’d like to review the Keen-Wäh Decadence Bars from YogaEarth, I became very excited. I have tried these bars once before, and loved them, so I’m glad that I get to do a thorough review for my readers and tell you what these bars have to offer. I’m a huge fan of organizing with bullet points, so it’ll be easier to find what you’re looking for in this review.
- About the Company: Community, sustainability and health make up the core of the YogaEarth philosophy. YogaEarth supports local community development by sponsoring cleanup projects, events and organizations such as the World Y.O.G.A project. They also loan 1% of all product sales to Kiva.org women micro-entrepreneurs via the non-profit organization’s sustainability-focused lending program in the developing world and all loans are directed to countries where YogaEarth sources its ingredients (i.e., quinoa from Peru).
- Packaging: I honestly love the packaging of these products. With bold colors differentiating the flavors and a subtle background print, you can find your favorite in seconds. Bold text highlights the name of the bars, but the front of the package remains simple and clean, holding the most important information (organic logo, flavor, etc.) without seeming cluttered. Overall, eye-catching and what some might consider “cute”.
- Ingredients/Nutrition: Not only are these bars organic, they have a list of ingredients that has a host of whole foods and some star superfoods, like chia seeds and of course, quinoa. They use raw cacao to coat the base, which makes these protein bars seem more like a dessert than a snack (but in a great way). Keen-Wäh Decadence bars are also Gluten-free and GMO free, yay! With 6g of Protein per bar, these make for a good snack that will hold you over until your next meal or would be perfect for having right before working out.
- Organic Chocolate Chia: This flavor is doubly chocolate with its chocolate-y inside and smooth chocolate coating; if you’re a lover of chocolate, this one is definitely for you. When you bite into it, you’ll find crunchy quinoa crisps in the midst of cacao butter, almond butter and chia seeds. Do you ever work out at night? This would be a great dessert-like snack for afterward.
- Organic Coconut Almond: I have to say, this one is my favorite, although it’s pretty hard to choose as they are all delicious. The Coconut Almond flavor is slight less decadent than the Chocolate Chia, but doesn’t skimp on flavor. I am a huge fan of coconut, so once I bit into the chocolate-covered base, I was in love. (Don’t tell Corey )
- Organic Cayenne Cinnamon: This one was also a total hit with me, I love mixing spicy with sweet, as well as cinnamon. So, this flavor took all of those points and wrapped them into one neatly wrapped, protein-filled package. The cayenne isn’t too overpowering or overly spicy, it just emits a subtle heat after you’re done enjoying it. I love that!
Overall, I really enjoyed trying these bars out. I think that they’re a great alternative to a lot of the protein/workout/”natural” bars out there, especially when you compare what they use to make them and the ethics behind the company. If you’re on the run, or are an active person, it’s a good idea to have these on hand! You can order the Keen-Wäh Decadence Bars online, for your convenience.
YogaEarth has also been kind enough to give away some bars to lucky winners, so hold tight for the giveaway contest entry!
UPDATE! YogaEarth will be giving you guys the chance to win on of THREE 6-packs of their Keen-Wah Bars! Each 6-pack with have 2 of each flavor in it, so you’ll get to try all of them out. Enter below using the Rafflecopter widget, and Good Luck!
Disclaimer: These bars were sent to me from YogaEarth to be reviewed, I did not pay for them, but my opinion remains the same and unbiased.