It has been almost 3 months since my last oatmeal recipe here on Vegan Yack Attack, and if you’ve been following me for a while you know that this is crazy. I guess it does make sense, because that was at the beginning of Summer; but, now I bring oatmeal back to you with a bang! Okay, maybe not a literal bang, but this oatmeal has some crazy-good flavors in it and it was the perfect thing to fill me up this morning. Especially after making a fresh batch of almond milk (always messy, as seen below, and with only almonds and water), and realizing that my boyfriend may have gotten me sick. :/
Maybe it’s better that I was feeling slightly out of it this morning, or else I wouldn’t have had a chance to enjoy this creamy, citrusy goodness in a bowl. At first, it tasted almost like a Pumpkin Orange Creamsicle, then you add the cranberry and a touch of cinnamon to the mix and it really brings it home. I know that I’ll be making this for breakfast again, very soon.
If I try it out in the slow cooker tonight, I might be able to enjoy some in the morning before my garage sale! Oy.. I don’t think I’m ready for it.
One Year Ago: Review: Champs Restaurant & Bakery Brooklyn, NY
- ⅓ C. Rolled Oats
- ⅓ C. Non-Dairy Milk, I used unsweetened Almond Milk
- ½ C. Water
- ½ C. Pumpkin Puree
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 2-3 tsp. Turbinado Sugar
- ½ tsp. Orange Zest
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ⅛-1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- ¼ C. Dried Cranberries
- 1-2 Tbsp. Roasted (unsalted) Pepitas
- Put all ingredients besides the cranberries and pepitas into a small pot on your stove, over low-medium heat.
- Stir them together until it is well mixed and let the mixture cook for 5 mins or until the oats are cooked all of the way and it is to your desired thickness.
- Stir in most of the cranberries and pepitas, leave some for sprinkling on top (if you want it to look pretty ;))
So, try this recipe out for breakfast tomorrow and let me know how it goes! This type of recipe will keep you going all the way through Winter, just don’t eat it too much or you may get sick of it.
Edit: Apparently this is what happens when I leave my camera unattended. Everyone say hello to Corey, the germ-spreader.