I was hoping to get this post up this past weekend, but due to some technical difficulties it didn’t happen. Boo! Thankfully, I can still share this delicious breakfast recipe with you. The reason for the urgency is that I’m participating in a #nutlove bloghop this month! Where a group of bloggers link all of their recipes with one theme, this month being all kinds of nuts.
Oats, for me, are the easy, go-to meal that I make when I have a good appetite in the morning. They’re so easy to make and you can switch around the additions and spices to make an infinite amount of possibilities. This time I’ve taken beautiful, ripe persimmons and combined them with crunchy pecans, ground cinnamon and cardamom. What you end up with is an aromatic and sweet breakfast dish that is light, but still filling. And really, all of these ingredients are easy to find around this time of the year, so you have no excuse not to try it out. 😉
One Year Ago: Orange Marmalade Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Pecan Persimmon Oatmeal
A warm, aromatic oatmeal filled with sweet persimmon, crunchy pecans and spices.
- 1/3 C. Rolled oats
- 4 oz. Persimmon, Chopped with Skin and Seeds Removed ( 1/2 Cup)
- 1/3 C. Unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 C. Water, May need more
- 2 tsp. Maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Cardamom
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Pecans, Chopped
- Place all ingredients, except for the pecans, in a small pot over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and lower heat to low-medium, stirring occasionally.
- Once the mixture starts to thicken up, stir in the pecan pieces.
- Adjust recipe to your liking by adding more non-dairy milk/water or adding more maple syrup for sweetness.
- You can use agave syrup instead of maple syrup, or switch the pecans out for seeds, and the almond milk out for soy, if you have a nut allergy.
The month of December is going to be filled with delightful nut recipes, and I really can’t wait. Please join in on the #nutlove fun by linking up any nut recipe from the month of December 2012. Don’t forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #nutlove event! The twitter hashtag is #nutlove .
Badger Girl Learns to Cook ~ Kimberly
Cheap Ethnic Eatz ~ Evelyne
No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ T.R.
Rico sin Azúcar ~ Helena
Teaspoon of Spice ~ Serena
The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen ~ Susan Palmer
The Spicy RD ~ EA Stewart
Vegan Yack Attack ~ Jackie S.
Check out all of the nut recipes below!