Posted on June 21, 2013
Friday. I’m a day late with this post, but I have a good reason! I’ve been working on a pretty sweet project for Vegan Cuts that’s due to come out next month and it is awesome. But, look what I’ve made for you! Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting. Hell to the yes.
The first time I made these cupcakes was for my friend’s birthday, a couple of months ago. I think that I’ve mentioned them since then, but have not unleashed the perfection that is this addictive cream cheese frosting. I even made the cupcakes oil-free to balance out the indulgence that lies atop its chocolate-y throne.
To put it bluntly, the birthday boy said that these were some of the “best cupcakes that I’ve ever had”. Now, you can enjoy them yourself! They’re super easy to make and are a total people pleaser. Just make sure to save one for yourself if you make them for a group, I almost totally missed out on trying them because they went so fast.
One Year Ago: Baked Zucchini Sticks with Spicy Queso
Two Years Ago: Cocoa Hazelnut Banana Pan-Cake
- 6 oz. Vegan Cream Cheese
- 2 T. + 1 tsp. Peanut Butter
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1¼ C. Powdered Sugar
- 1½ C. Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ C. + 1 T. Sugar
- ½ C. Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 C. Ice-Cold Water
- ¼ C. Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 T. White Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Place the cream cheese and peanut butter into a medium-sized mixing bowl, and cream together with a mixer.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar to the bowl, about a ⅓ C. at a time, until it is fully incorporated.
- Place in the fridge to chill, then make cupcakes.
- Prep one 12-count cupcake pan with liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and sea salt. In a medium bowl mix together apple sauce, vinegar, vanilla extract, and water.
- Then, mix the wet ingredients into the dry slowly using a whisk, making sure to not leave any dry pockets or chunks.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Pour batter into each liner until it is about ¾ full or a centimeter from the top of the liner.
- Then bake for approximately 15-20 minutes (18 always works great for me), check with a toothpick to see when they are finished.
- Wait for the cupcakes to cool down, placing them in the freezer for 15 minutes works wonders. Then frost them and sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top for decoration.
Mmm.. Peanut butterrr…
Have a great weekend, everyone!