As awesome as grilling season is, I think most of us get put in a less-than-stellar situation when going to family and friends’ BBQs. Unless your entire group of friends and lots of your family are vegan or vegetarian (if you have that going on, I’M SO JEALOUS), you’re probably going to find yourself at a backyard grillin’ party surrounded by racks of whatever, roasts in smokers and if you’re lucky, a shitty boca burger.
This whole situation came to mind when I was browsing a food magazine and found the idea for foil meals. I’ll be the first one to say that this is a pretty wasteful way to cook meals, but when you’re in a tough situation, these foil packs can be a life saver! Not to mention, they are insanely easy to put together. I actually recommend getting them together the night before, so that the flavors meld together more and you don’t have to worry about rushing them the next day.
These meal packs are so versatile that you can make tons of combinations; include some protein in there by marinating tempeh in liquid aminos and throwing it in with the veggies before going on the grill. Foil also keeps your fresh veggies from touching whatever crap is stuck on your friend’s grill! (So important) An easy way of putting these together is thinking about what you like to put on kabobs; for me it’s mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and a few others.
But, before I get to the recipe I just want to mention that I had an awesome time, last night at Golden Road Brewing. This is where Randy Clemens celebrated the release of his new cookbook, The Veggie-Lover’s Sriracha Cookbook! I got to meet Randy –who is totally awesome– and take a couple of pictures with him after enjoying some dishes from his book. I have thumbed through most of the book and the recipes look fantastic AND easy to make.
BBQ Party Pack
- 1 C . Red/Orange Bell Peppers Chopped
- 1 C . Red or White Onion Chopped
- 1 C . Carrots 1/2" Square Chop
- 1 C . Russet Potato 1/2" Square Chop
- 1 C . Zucchini Chopped
- 1 C . Button or Baby Bella Mushrooms Chopped
- 1 Cob of Corn Sliced to 1-2" Wide Medallions
- 2 T . Olive Oil
- 3/4 tsp . Sea Salt
- 2 tsp . Liquid Smoke
- 1 tsp . Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp . Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp . Onion Powder
- 1 tsp . Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp . Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp . Chili Powder Ancho
- 1/2 tsp . Ground Coriander
- 4- 12 Pieces x8" of Foil Or just large squares
- in Optional: Add pieces of smoked tofu seitan, chickpeas, etc.
- Warm up your grill to medium-high heat (around 400ºF).
- Place all ingredients into a very large bowl and toss together so that it is well-mixed and evenly coated.
- Divide the mixture between the four pieces of foil, equating to a heaping cup for each one. Place it in the center of the foil.
- Fold two sides of the foil in toward the center and fold together/down until you reach the veggies. Press flat.
- Take one of the other sides and roll in, toward the center; repeat on the other side, until you have a packet. Press firmly on the rolls/folds so that they do not come apart easily.
- Put them on the grill and lower the lid, grilling for 8 minutes on each side of the packet. You can see if they're ready by peeling back a fold and checking the corn or potatoes.
- For a drier mixture inside, open up the top of the packets while grilling during the last 4 minutes.
- Serve hot, and top with a little more salt and pepper, hot sauce or BBQ sauce if you desire!
Of course this is just in time for all of the Celebrations this weekend, so have a great weekend and stay safe out there! 🙂
Yes… That’s a metal spork!
What are some vegan food items that you bring to Summer hangouts with friends and family?