I had the pleasure of finally meeting Cara of the stellar blog Fork & Beans a few weeks ago and she is awesome! We grabbed a bite to eat with Spabettie and I’m pretty sure that we all could have sat there for hours chatting about food, blog stuff and our lives. That bit might not interest you at all, but what I’m trying to say is that Cara is a food magician whom I totally admire, so check out her blog and get to salivating! Before you go, take a look at this magnificent Cheese Ball!
Special occasions call for special snacks and this here is one special occasion. I’m a big fan of Jackie’s so I wanted to make sure that I what I share with you over here is definitely note-worthy in honor of her and all of you. And to me, there is nothing more impressive than a vegan cheese ball made completely from cashews.
I guess you could say that I am still in the holiday spirit because this ball is filled with cranberries and walnuts but it actually pairs perfectly with the creaminess of the cashews, giving it sweetness and texture that your guests will certainly appreciate. This is the perfect appetizer to serve for Superbowl Bowl Sunday or even the nice dinner party you have planned. Serve it with my Homemade Rosemary Gluten-Free Vegan Crackers and you got yourself a fancy little dish. Look at you Suzy Homemaker–being all homemade and fancy and stuff…
- 1 c. raw cashews, soaked 2+ hours, drained
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil (use refined if you don't like the coconut flavor)
- 1 Tbsp. white wine
- Juice of ½ lemon (or 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ⅓ c. dried cranberries, chopped
- ¾ c. walnuts, chopped
- 2 pieces of plastic wrap
- 1 bowl
- Place the cashews, coconut oil, wine, lemon juice and salt into a high-speed blender and begin to mix until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time if it is too thick to blend. You shouldn't need more than 2 Tbsp. of water most likely.
- Add the cranberries and only ¼ c. of the walnuts to roughly blend for a couple of seconds.
- Line a bowl with plastic wrap as pictured above and spoon the cheese sauce inside. Wrap the top up securely and place in the freezer for 1 hours until it begins to set.
- Take the cheese out of the plastic wrap and in a shallow bowl place the remaining ½ c. chopped walnuts in and gently roll the cheese ball around until it is completely covered in walnuts. Wrap in a clean piece of plastic wrap, placing it back in the bowl and into the freezer for another hour.
Native of Los Angeles, Cara is the crazy, chocolate-filled woman behind Fork & Beans. On a mission to recreate every treat known to mankind, she has every intention of making them gluten, egg, and dairy-free. Oh, and super tasty too. From a range of Girl Scout Cookies, homemade candy bars, to a collection of childhood favorite snacks–nothing is off-limits. You can follow Fork & Beans on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. You can also pre-order the upcoming published cookbook Decadent Gluten-free Vegan Baking here.