Another week, another stellar guest blogger, and today I’m thrilled to have Nicole from A Dash of Compassion share a recipe with all of us! She takes beautiful pictures, plus has some mind-blowing recipes on her blog. Not to mention, Lisa Pitman and her have put together some great eBooks, like Edible Gifts (all vegan)! So, without further ado, here is her tantalizing recipe for Cauliflower Fried Rice. 🙂
Ah, January, the first month of the year is already drawing to a close. As completely amazing as 2013 was, I have big plans and long lists to accomplish for this year. It’s a fresh new start and I’m excited about what’s to come.
With so much going on, I’m embracing 2014 with simplicity on the food front. I adore one-pot meals that are delicious yet realistic and achievable with busy schedules. Brown rice with colourful stir-fried veggies is a staple in my house, but I’ve recently discovered grated cauliflower to replace rice for a more nutritious and vegetable-packed meal. Have you tried it yet? I have to say, it is incredible and super simple.
If you own a food processor, this is the time to use it. Simply pulse the cauliflower into rice-sized pieces and then throw it into a pot with other stir-fried veggies and you’re good to go! This particular “fried rice” recipe also makes use of smoked tofu, shiitake mushrooms, edamame and kale, along with the fresh flavours of ginger, tamari and sesame oil to round out the dish. To cut down on the oil for frying the vegetables, I prefer using veggie broth to add more flavour.
Thank you to the wonderful and talented Jackie for allowing me to share this recipe with you today!
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1/2leaveshead cauliflowerremoved and chopped
- 2tspcoconut oil
- 1package smoked tofucubed, 210g, I use Soyganic brand
- 2green onionsthinly sliced
- 3clovesgarlicpeeled and minced
- 2cupssliced shiitake mushrooms113g
- 2tspgrated fresh ginger
- 1/2cupvegetable broth or water
- 2cupschopped kale
- 1/2cupfrozen shelled edamame
- 2tbspchopped cilantrooptional
- 1/4tspred pepper flakes
- drizzle of toasted sesame oil
- Using a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until it is in rice-sized pieces. You may want to do this in batches for consistent results. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the cubed tofu, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Transfer tofu to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the green onions and garlic to the sauté pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, ginger and a splash of vegetable broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the cauliflower rice, tofu and remaining vegetable broth, and cook until kale is wilted and everything is heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
You can follow Nicole and her blog at the sites, below: