What a weekend! It all started when I got out of work late Friday night and got to baking some vegan and vegan/gf cupcakes for a friend’s wedding. Stayed up late, afraid that I would fall asleep and lay my head into the mixing bowl at any moment. On Saturday it was rush-rush-rush all morning, icing cupcakes, getting last-minute shoes for the wedding while also getting ready for LA Vegan Beer Fest afterward. The ceremony was gorgeous and I am so happy for my two good friends and their special day.
Talk about a “fashionably late” entrance, I got to the LAVBF at 4pm after an hour-long drive from Orange County! But, I was still able to squeeze some tasty foods and chats with great people in the 2 remaining hours. Going to the fest has been a tradition for me, and this was my 4th one! I can’t wait for next years.
Sunday was more visiting with friends that were in from out-of-town, tasty vegan eats (like a vegan churro in swirled soft serve, SO GOOD) and a dinner at Shojin on Monday night (another fantastic meal). Now, it’s back to work shooting cookbooks, making food over at Whole Foods and blogging for y’all, of course!
I made this incredible coffee cake on Mother’s day for my family/boyfriend’s family and everyone loved it! I have a mixed berry version on the blog and a pumpkin pie version in my Great Vegan Pumpkin eBook, as well. I’d have to say, this one is a new favorite for me! My next version will be with Apple Pie Filling, me thinks.
One Year Ago: Refreshing Watermelon Tomato Salad
Two Years Ago: Banana Coconut Cream Crepes
Strawberries & Cream Coffee Cake
Gorgeous seasonal strawberries and a luscious cashew cream make up the filling to this amazing coffee cake!
2 C. Strawberries, Chopped
¼ C. Sugar
¼ C. Water
2 Tbsp. (Organic) Corn Starch
- Cashew Cream Filling
1/2 C. Raw Cashews, Soaked in Water for 30 mins.
1/4 C. Vanilla Non-Dairy Yogurt
2-3 T. Water
2 tsp. Agave Nectar or Maple Syrup
½ T. Apple Cider Vinegar + Non-Dairy Milk equaling a ½ C.
1 T. Ground Flaxseed
3 T. Hot Water
1½ C. Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
¾ C. Sugar (You could get away with a little less, if necessary)
½ tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Baking Soda
¼ tsp. Salt
¼ C. Vegan Butter or Margarine (Cold)
½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Cake Topping
3 T. Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 T. Instant Oats
¼ C. Sugar
2 T. Vegan Butter or Margarine (Cold)
- Strawberry Filling
- In a medium-sized saute pan, heat the strawberries and sugar over medium heat, along with half of the water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to low-medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the cornstarch and remaining water together, in a small cup, to dissolve the corn starch.
- Once the fruit has broken down a bit, add the cornstarch liquid to the pan and stir. Continue to stir until the starch has become clear and the fruit mixture has thickened a little. You want it to be thinner than jelly, but not runny.
- Take it off the heat and set aside.
- Cashew Cream Filling
- Take all ingredients, starting with 2 T. of the water and puree until completely smooth in a high-speed blender or food processor. Add the additional T. of water if more liquid is necessary for blending.
- Cake and assembly
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and get an 8″x8″ baking dish out. You do not need to oil it.
- Pour 1½ tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar into a 1 C. measuring cup. Then, fill it up to ½ C. with Non-dairy milk, this is your buttermilk substitute.
- Make the flax egg by whisking together the hot water and ground flaxseed in a small bowl/cup and setting it aside to become gelatinous.
- Next, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together, in a large bowl.
- Cut the vegan butter into to the flour mixture, using two butter knifes or a pastry blender, until it becomes crumbly.
- Stir the flax egg, “butter milk”, and vanilla together, then add it to the flour mixture, stir together until there is no loose flour, but do not over mix the dough, it will still be slightly chunky.
- Divide the dough in half, spreading one half to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Carefully place the strawberry filling on top of the dough, using spoonfuls at a time; then spreading it out evenly.
- Use a pastry bag, or ziploc bag with corner cut, to squeeze the cashew cream out in lines over the fruit filling (as pictured).
- Then use a spoon to place the other half of the dough on top of the berry filling, do not attempt to spread evenly or you will mix it in with the berries. Just place the spoonfuls of dough in one layer over the filling.
- For the cake topping, whisk together the flour and sugar in a small bowl, then cut the vegan butter into it until it is crumbly. Sprinkle this over the top of the coffee cake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is a light-medium golden brown. Wait at least 30 minutes for it to cool, as it is best the closer it is to room temperature.
Oh! I almost forgot to mention that you only have a day or so left to enter the Oh She Glows Cookbook Giveaway that’s going on right now! Head on over to the post HERE and enter through the Rafflecopter Widget.