Posted on May 29, 2014
Can you believe that it’s nearly June? This year is flying by quickly and May has been a complete blur! I’m not really mad about it, although I have some goals that I gave myself that I’m having trouble reaching. Namely, writing my own cookbook! After I’m back from vacation and am done with the cookbook that I’m currently taking photos for I am gettin’ that damn proposal DONE!
Until then, it’s work, work, work, plus a little play for the next couple of months. What’s really pressing at the moment is that I’m going to Italy on Monday! I’ve only been out of the country once, and it was to go to Mexico for a couple of days when I was 16. That being said, I’m a little anxious about not knowing any Italian and traveling there with my family for two weeks, while being the only vegan. Eek! So, if you have any tips, I’d be more than happy to hear them.
For the next couple of days I’m just trying to queue up some posts so that you guys will have some reading material while I’m gone! I think that you’ll really enjoy the posts that I have planned. 😀 But, today, I’m featuring my beloved Southwestern Kale Salad. I usually make this with one of two different dressings, Creamy Avocado Cilantro or Chipotle Tahini; both are SO good. I’ll be honest, though, I’m not dead-sure about the measurements for the Chipotle Tahini Dressing, so I’m going to give it to you approximately.
This salad is vibrant with color, has many flavors and textures, plus is very nutritious. We all know what a powerhouse kale is, but add some fiber and protein from the black beans and pepitas, vitamin C from the bell pepper and healthy fats from the avocados and you have yourself a well-rounded meal!
One Year Ago: Vida Vegan Con Part 1!
Two Years Ago: Black Bean Party Burgers
- 1 Bunch Curly Kale, Stems Removed
- ½ C. Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
- ½ C. Yellow Corn (you can use frozen as long as you thaw it out before hand)
- ½ C. Cooked Black Beans
- ¼ C. Red Onion, Diced
- 3-4 T. Roasted Salted Pepitas
- Optional: 1-2 T. Fresh Jalapeno, Diced
- Cilantro for Garnish
- ¾ C. Avocado, Mashed
- ⅓ C. Fresh Cilantro
- ¼ C. Water
- 3 T. Lime Juice
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp. Agave Nectar
- Salt to taste
- ⅓ C. Tahini
- 3 T. Water
- 3 T. Vegan Mayo
- 2 tsp. Lime Juice
- ½ tsp. Liquid Smoke
- ¼ tsp. Chipotle Powder (or more depending on how hot you want it)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tear the kale leaves into bite-sized pieces and put them in a large bowl.
- Depending on what dressing you use, place all ingredients (for that dressing) in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and knead/massage the dressing into the leaves so that they are coated evenly and reduce in size.
- Next, take all of the toppings and add them to the bowl, tossing lightly. I like to mix in half and then top with half, or else it all ends up at the bottom of the bowl.
- Top with cilantro, and a few cubes of avocado if you're a fiend, like me. Serve chilled as a small starter salad or 3-4 large portions for an entree.
And there you have it! A wonderful, supremely easy salad that makes for a great weeknight meal and is even better the next day. I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend, have fun and stay safe!