Halloween is just around the corner, which means that themed parties are in full swing and fun food ideas are everywhere! This cute appetizer/dessert came to me after staring at some adorable crab apples for about a half hour trying to figure out just what the heck to do with them. Should I cut them up and use them in pies? Maybe I should poach them in wine… or what if I cut them into eyeballs? Nope, little apple-lanterns it is!
Of course I had to stuff them with peanut butter and raisins, although a vegan caramel filling would be great, as well. Now, you don’t have to carve the little faces into each one if you’re making a lot for a party, but it really does make them that much more awesome. You could also cut the face all of the way through to have a slightly oozy, creepy apple-lantern.
If you need another Halloween appetizer idea, check out my Stuffed Mushroom Eyeballs!
One Year Ago: Pretzel Dogs of the Dead
Two Years Ago: Citrusy Pumpkin Oatmeal with Cranberries
Three Years Ago: Champs Restaurant Brooklyn, NY.
Peanut Butter Apple Lanterns
Cute and tasty appetizers that come together quickly and are perfect for Halloween and Kids!
1 lb. small crab apples (9 in this case)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup melted smooth peanut butter
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cut the top 1/4 off of each apple in a zig-zag line (like you would a pumpkin.
- Take a melon baller and scoop out the inside, leaving 1/4″ inch-thick wall in the apple; make sure there are no holes in the bottom.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Use a knife to cut very shallow lines into the skin of the apple for eyes and a smile. Only cut out the skin, not all of the way through.
- Place each apple on a baking sheet. Stir the raisins, melted peanut butter, maple syrup, and ground cinnamon together, then divide the mixture between all of the apples.
- Place the apple tops back on the apple-lanterns then bake them for 13-15 minutes or until they have shrunken slightly and are fork tender.
- Wait 10 minutes before serving, and serve warm.
Check out Awesome Apple Dishes!
Disclosure: The above Foodie Collection is a collection that I put together, of my own recipes. I get compensated for sharing this collection on my blog and social media channels. This helps me make more delicious recipe for all of you! 🙂