You guys, I think I’ve become obsessed with making ice cream. Every time I’m presented with beautiful ingredients and seasonal produce I almost immediately think of how I can create a stunning and delectable frozen treat with them. Now, what got the dessert wheels turning this time? Andrew from One Ingredient Chef and Sam of It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken put together a Vegan Mystery Box Challenge (OOooOOooh)! Three ingredients, many awesome bloggers, equalling tons of fun and tasty holiday recipes for you. And of course, this Cranberry Cointreau Coconut Ice Cream!
The three ingredients in our hypothetical “Mystery Box” were cranberries, coconut milk, and pistachios. Immediately, I thought, ICE CREAM. Because who doesn’t like eating cold things when it’s cold outside, am I right? (Wait, what?) But, seriously, I could just picture the beautiful ribbons of bold red from the cranberries swirling through a bright white coconut ice cream, topped with complimentary splashes of green from candied pistachios. Christmas colors galore!
Another thing, when I was making a Cherry Amaretto ice cream recipe for Vegan Bowl Attack!, I figured out that booze in ice cream is a gift to everyone on earth and that this equation should happen often. With this knowledge, I figured adding some Cointreau (orange-flavored liqueur) to the cranberry sauce ribbon and the coconut ice cream would be a stellar idea. Believe me when I say that I figured correctly, because this frozen treat turned out to be a holiday masterpiece. Plus, the little bit of alcohol content keeps the ice cream from becoming a brick when frozen!
OH! I can’t forget to mention that this recipe requires NO ICE CREAM MAKER/MACHINE. You read that right, NO ice cream maker. (Though, I highly recommend you get one because they are awesome and I love mine.) For this recipe, you have a short ingredients list, and only need a pan, freezer, sealable bag and a food processor or high-speed blender. Find the recipe below, along with a list of all of the recipes inspired by the Vegan Mystery Box Challenge!
Cranberry Cointreau Coconut Ice Cream
Coconut Ice Cream Base
- 13.5 ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Cranberry Cointreau Mix
- 1 cup fresh cranberries you can also use thawed frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
Coconut Ice Cream Base
- Place coconut milk, sugar, Cointreau, vanilla extract, and salt into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour mixture into a gallon-sized sealable bag and place in freezer for at least 1 hour.
Cranberry Cointreau Mix
- In a small sauce pan, over medium heat, bring cranberries, orange juice, sugar, Cointreau and salt to a boil. Adjust heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally and press on cranberries to pop and mash them.
- When the cranberry mix has thickened and is similar in texture to preserves, transfer it to a shallow bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Break the frozen coconut ice cream base up into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Place half of the cranberry mix into a small, freezer-friendly container. Carefully spread half of the ice cream mixture over the base, then top with remaining cranberry mix and ice cream.
- Use a knife to swirl the two together, then place container in freezer for at least 45 to 60 minutes to set.
- When you are ready to serve the ice cream, heat pistachios, sugar and water in a small pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until nuts are coated and water has evaporated, then remove pan from heat.
- Divide ice cream between four bowls and top each one with candied pistachios, serve.
More recipes aside from Cranberry Cointreau Coconut Ice Cream!
Magic Fruit Cake Bars with White Chocolate Drizzle by One Ingredient Chef
Vegan Cranberry Pistachio Loaf by It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
Cranberry Cheesecake & Pistachio Stuffed Vegan French Toast by Connoisseurus Veg
Pistachio Crusted Cranberry Cashew Coconut Cheese by Lemon and Coconut
Cranberry Pistachio and Mango Salad by Veggies Save the Day
Cranberry Pistachio Donuts by Two City Vegans (Casey)
Cranberry Pistachio Gingersnap Truffles by Two City Vegans (Alix)
Whole Wheat Cranberry Pistachio Vegan Biscotti by Veggie Inspired Journey
Coconut Pistachio Cashew Cheese Panini with Cranberry Jam by Peppers and Peaches
Toasted Pistachio Rice Pudding with Candied Cranberries by The Lazy Vegan Baker
Pistachio and Cranberry Cream Sandwich Cookies by Love Me Feed Me
Vegan Meringue Nests with Cranberry Coconut Whip and Crushed Pistachios by The Viet Vegan
Vegan Coconut Quinoa Salad by Beets Not Meats
Cranberry Orange & Pistachio Muffins With Vanilla Cream by A Virtual Vegan
Gourmet Lazy Cabbage Rolls by Choose to Cook
Sweet Potato Coconut Curry with Cranberries and Pistachios by The Tofu Diaries
Lebanese Semolina Pudding (Layali Lubnan) by Lands and Flavors
Vegan Chocolate Cranberry Cake by The Seasonal Diet
Jolly Bollywood Holiday Curry by Sexie Veggies