You can’t avoid it, the Super Bowl is happening this Sunday and this means it’s time to share (or not) great food while yelling at the TV! Party food is a favorite of mine and I love bringing stellar vegan appetizers, dips and more to gatherings, for people of all diets to enjoy. Enter this Supreme Nacho Burger!
This recipe is great for Super Bowl parties in that it would be really easy to set up a build-your-own-burger bar with all of the accoutrements necessary. A crock pot for the queso, bowls for lettuce, guacamole, sliced veggies and peppers, and plates for toasted buns and warm burger patties.
Now, about the particulars of this divine nacho burger hybrid. The burger patty is gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free and is crusted in chips (specifically Beanfields Pico de Gallo chips); then it’s topped with an amazing queso cheese sauce, that is a recipe from the awesome Joni Marie Newman (and you can find it on her blog), then guacamole and peppers, with crunchy romaine lettuce on the bottom. And you can’t forget to toast the buns!
There is so much flavor packed into every bite of this Supreme Nacho Burger, so you know that it’ll be a hit with all party-goers! Maybe leave off the fresh jalapeño slices for the weak-tongued. 😉 For more vegan Super Bowl recipes, find links and pictures at the end of this post!
Supreme Nacho Burger
Black Bean Patty
- 1/2cupraw walnuts
- 15ouncecan low-sodium black beansdrained and rinsed
- 1/2cupdiced red onion
- 2teaspoonschili powder
- 1teaspoonground cumin
- 1/2teaspoonground chipotle chili powder
- 1/8teaspooncayenne pepper
- 3/4teaspoonsaltor to taste
- 1/4cupquick-cooking oats
- 1/2cupcrushed tortilla chipscorn chips for gluten-free
- 1/4inrecipe from JusttheFood.comlink paragraph above
- 1cupmashed avocado
- 2tablespoonsdiced red onion
- 1tablespoonminced cilantro
- 1tablespoonlime juice
- 1/2tablespoonminced jalapeno
- 1/4teaspoongarlic powder
- 1/4teaspoonsaltor to taste
- 4slicesburger bunsor 8 of gluten-free bread to keep recipe GF
- 2cupschopped romaine lettuce
- 1cupsliced red bell pepper
- 1/4cupsliced jalapeno
Black Bean Burger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse walnuts in a food processor until they are small pieces; add black beans, red onion, chili powder, cumin, paprika, chipotle powder, cayenne and salt, pulse until combined and beans are broken down.
- Fold quick oats into burger mixture and place in refrigerator for 10 minutes. Place crushed chips in a shallow bowl, form bean mixture into four patties, pressing them lightly into the chips to get an even crust all over. Put patties on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for an additional 10 minutes. (While patties are baking make queso and guacamole)
- Follow directions and recipe from JustTheFood.com, as linked in blog post.
- In a small bowl, mash all ingredients together and season with salt to taste. Refrigerate until ready to assemble burgers.
- Once the burgers are done baking, lightly toast your buns (ahem), divide lettuce amongst bottom buns, then burger patties, queso, peppers, guacamole, and jalapeños. Maybe throw some hot sauce in there as well? You can't lose!
- Serve these burgers up and witness the eaters being transported to Supreme Nacho Burger heaven. Mmm..
More Super Bowl recipes! (click on photo for recipe)