Now, I love food, but occasionally I do dabble in making fun cocktails. The most popular recipe on this site (by leaps and bounds) is my Apple Pie on the Rocks drink, featuring cinnamon whisky. But, this Boozy Mint Strawberry Lemonade is perfect for the arrival of Spring!
It all started when a friend and I were making lemonade for my dear friend Michelle’s birthday gathering, this past weekend. We had tons of ripe Meyer lemons, but no light-colored sweetener within reach. Surveying the kitchen, we found coconut nectar, and if you’re familiar with it you know that it is a very dark amber color. Short on time we used that and water to make the lemonade, which came out a super unappealing murky tan color.
We poured it over the ice in a the cute, glass drink dispenser, laughing at the appearance of it. A few minutes later, it hit me, we should puree some strawberries and throw them in! This would help with the color, and add some great flavor. Back inside we went to test it out, and somehow a solid amount gin was added to the strawberries — you know, to help them puree ;).
Into the lemonade the strawberries went, along with a few sprigs of mint; and upon first sip we all fell instantly in love. I knew that I’d need to make this again! It was the perfect drink for this dessert-laden, garden birthday celebration and should be enjoyed by as many people as possible.
Now, you can make this without the gin, if drinking is not your thing. Just add some more water to dilute the tartness of the lemons. I love this recipe, because we’re using whole ingredients, not just store-bought lemonade with who knows what in it! Using basil instead of mint could also be supremely delicious and I dare you to try it out for me.
Boozy Mint Strawberry Lemonade
- 4 medium Meyer lemons peeled
- 1 cup + 2 cups water divided
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 cup gin
- 2-3 tablespoons agave nectar to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- leaves A handful of mint stems with attached plus extra for garnish
- slices Optional: Lemon for garnish
- Optional for sweeter mix: Add stevia to taste
- Place peeled lemons in a blender with 1 cup of water, puree until mostly smooth. Pour mixture through a strainer or cheese cloth, into a large jar or pitcher, getting all of the juice from the pulp. Add remaining 2 cups of water to lemon juice.
- Place strawberries, gin, agave nectar and salt into the blender, pureeing until completely smooth. Pour mixture directly into the jar (without straining), taste and add more sweeteners if necessary. Place mint in jar and either place in the refrigerator to chill until you're ready to serve, or pour into a drink dispenser over ice.
I have to warn you, this drink is SUPER tasty, and could sneak up on you if you’re not careful! Always enjoy, but please be safe when drinking adult beverages. <3
Boozy Mint Strawberry Lemonade switch-ups:
- For a purple, less tart concoction, use half strawberries and half blueberries in your lemonade mix.
- Vodka also works for this drink, if you’re not into gin.