Happy Monday, Everyone! Let’s make it even better with Vegan Carrot Waffles and a giveaway, shall we? If you aren’t familiar with the Love & Lemons blog founded by Jeanine Donofrio, you must make yourself so! Jeanine’s recipes are made with whole foods and are healthy and seasonal, with many vegan recipes. Her food photography is fresh, light and beautiful, and the design is eye-catching.
All of these elements translate into the Love & Lemons Cookbook, perfectly! I love the format of this book in that it’s veggie-centric, embraces seasonal produce and teaches you how to cook with what you have on hand. The chapters are organized by ingredient, so like the cover says, “an apple-to-zucchini celebration of impromptu cooking”.
The recipes are colorful, many of them super simple and well-seasoned. In the first chapter, she goes on to describe her method for cooking, what are musts for having in your pantry and how to cook backward. Pick a fruit or vegetable that you love, go to that chapter and you have great choices for inspiring dishes to make in no time.
I chose to make the Vegan Carrot Waffles, which were so simple, delicious and gone in a flash! I can’t wait to make some of the other recipes that caught my eye, like the Eggplant & Mushroom “Meatballs”, Carrot-Ginger Grain Bowl, and Blackberry Basil Bruschetta. Luckily for all of us, Jeanine and her publisher have let me share this tasty waffle recipe with you all!
Also, if you want to hear some back story on the creation of the book, and learn a little more about Jeanine, go to Jessica Murnane’s interview with her on One Part Podcast. Lastly, enter my giveaway to win your own copy of The Love & Lemon’s Cookbook!
The Love & Lemons Cookbook: Vegan Carrot Waffles
- 2cupswhole spelt flour or white/wheat mix500 mL
- 2teaspoonbaking powder10 mL
- 2tablespoonsground flaxseed30 mL
- 1/2teaspooncinnamon2 mL
- 1cupgrated carrots250 mL
- 2cupsalmond milk at room temperature500 mL
- 1/4cupmelted coconut oil60 mL
- 1teaspoonvanilla extract5 mL
- 2tablespoonsmaple syrupplus extra for serving, 30 mL
- Sea salt
- 1recipe coconut creampage 287, optional
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, flaxseed, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the grated carrots, almond milk, coconut oil, vanilla, and maple syrup. Fold the carrot mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Scoop an appropriate amount of batter onto your waffle iron and cook until the edges are slightly crisp. Serve with maple syrup and the coconut cream, if using.