Sometimes I get certain concepts for recipes in my head and I just can’t shake them (no pun intended). This idea stems from interesting eating habits from my childhood, in that it was very much a thing to be dipping french fries into a thick chocolate shake and it being SO good. I’m pretty sure that there are many of you out there that have also indulged in this fast-food delicacy; but, if you haven’t you should give it a go!
Now, there are some pretty significant differences between what I enjoyed in my pre-vegan days and what I’ve created here for you. One being, these fries have a sweet twist and are coated in a delicious cinnamon mixture, then baked (not fried) and the second being that the “shake” is a thick, rich, smoothie made without crazy amounts of cream or fat, and you’re hit with some spice from chili powder and cayenne. POW! A tasty, interesting treat.
The flavors were inspired by Mexican Hot Chocolate, because spice + chocolate + cinnamon is straight up heavenly. When you make that combo cold, the heat from the peppers isn’t as intense, but it lingers a little and I absolutely love it. I tested this out when I made this super simple Chocolate Sriracha Ice Cream a couple of years ago.
I thought about using sweet potatoes for the fries, but am glad that I went with russet potatoes, otherwise it would have thrown off the balance of savory vs. sweet and we can’t have that now, can we? And, unrelated to this recipe, I received my advance copy of Vegan Bowl Attack! and could have/almost cried. It’s beautiful! I can’t wait for you guys to see this thing, and you still have time to preorder it with price guarantee (aka super cheap) through Amazon. <3
Spicy Chocolate Shake with Cinnamon Fries
- 1 pound russett potatoes peeled
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tablespoon agave or coconut nectar
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Spicy Chocolate Shake
- 2 pieces large frozen bananas, broken into bite-sized
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup ice
- 5 in dates pitted (if dry, soak warm water for 15 minutes)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4"-square matchsticks and place in a large mixing bowl. Stir coconut oil and agave together in a small bowl/ramekin, pour over potatoes and stir to coat evenly.
- Add coconut sugar, brown rice flour, ground cinnamon and salt to the fries and toss again, coating evenly.
- Spread fries out over baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, then flip fries over and bake for another 10 minutes (15 if you want extra crispy). While the fries cool after baking, whip up the shake!
Spicy Chocolate Shake
- Place all shake ingredients into a blender, puree until completely smooth, adding more ice or frozen bananas if you want it thicker, or more non-dairy milk if your blender is struggling.
- Pour into two glasses and serve with the basket of warm fries!
Now, whip up this treat and enjoy the rest of your weekend! <3