I am fortunate enough to have a copy of Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You, in my possession, and I have to say that I’m really excited about this cookbook! I almost never use my slow cooker because the recipes that come out of it are massive, and like she mentions in her book, I don’t feel like eating chili for a week straight. Luckily, this brief review and giveaway ties right in with the Born to Mac MoFo festivities, because of this tasty recipe for Cheezy Butternut Squash Macaroni!
This recipe is a little different from most that you’ve seen this month, because it has some comforting Fall herbs and a delicious dose of garlic. Not only that, this pasta is super easy to make, much like a lot of recipes in this cookbook. There are a set of ingredients that you put in at the beginning of the day, and a couple more before serving, and you’re set! The smell of garlic, rosemary and thyme had my whole family salivating.
Another recipe that I tried from this book was the Creamy Tomato Basil Bisque. I’m a total sucker for Tomato Bisque, in general, but you throw in the ease of using a slow cooker and some basil? I’m all yours. Of course, I kind of messed this up by forgetting that I was cooking it, so I REALLY slow cooked the tomatoes. But, you know what? It tasted great anyway. Success!
Other recipes in this book that I want to try out are the Chocolate Pumpkin Brownie Breakfast Quinoa (WHAT?!), the Lavender Rose Valentine Cocoa, the White Bean Quinoa Gumbo and so many more. The photos are by my friend and extremely talented photographer, Kate Lewis, and they are absolutely drool-worthy.
If you’re anything like me, you love getting things in the mail; well, besides a jury duty notice or bill. But, on the days that I have packages waiting for me on my doorstep it’s like a self-gifted present that I can’t wait to open up. In this case, though, it’s a complete surprise of vegan goodies! How? Cat of the Verdant Life set up an awesome vegan food swap amongst vegan bloggers just last month!
From Cat’s page on the swap guidelines:
How It Works:
1. Sign up by completing the form at the bottom of this page. (Sign up by May 4, 2012!)
2. On/about the 7th of the month, you’ll receive an e-mail from me containing the name and e-mail address of your Vegan Food Swap match. You’ll need to contact them to get their mailing address and any food specifics (allergies, gluten-free, etc.)
3. Collect items that you’ve purchased or made and box them up. Let’s keep the spending limit under $20.
4. Include a handwritten note to your match. You can explain why you chose certain items, offer suggestions on pairings, or include a recipe.
5. By the 15th of the month, ship your package to your Vegan Food Swap match. (Consider using USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes!)
6. On the last day of the month, post an entry on your blog about what you received, and be sure to include a shout-out to the person who sent you the box!
The awesome blogger that sent me a great box of goodies this month was Kathy Hester, author of the Vegan Slow Cooker and writer of Healthy Slow Cooking. She sent me some awesome ingredients and seasonings, as well as some amazing chocolate.
Here’s a list of what was in my goodie package:
- Two different flavors of Liquid Smoke (which I already love!)
- Pineapple Balsamic and Chocolate Balsamic (I can’t wait to use these)
- Smoked Serrano Sea Salt and Meyer Lemon Sea Salt (yum!)
- Rajma Masala Spice Blend (how does she know that these are some of my favorite flavors?)
- Lily’s Dark Chocolate with Almond Chunks
- Chipotle Chile & Vanilla Dark Chocolate (it’s amazing, in case you were wondering)
- And a nice lil’ card!
This swap is a great way to find out about new and local (to someone else) products that are delicious and interesting. I can’t wait to use all of it, and the chocolate is almost gone. Oops.. 😉
Thanks again for all of the treats, Kathy!
You can check out all of the others below.