That extremely special day is upon us, tomorrow, June 30th is Vegan Pizza Day! You want to talk about a holiday that I can celebrate? This day is definitely one of them and I plan on having plenty of vegan pizza tomorrow, much to my waistline’s chagrin. But, I couldn’t go into this weekend without providing you with an awesome pizza recipe, plus a few from the archives.
Of course, I didn’t want to make the pizza for only myself, so I called my darling friend and loyal taste-tester Amanda over for a pizza experiment. Her and I both agree that grilling a pizza is really freaking fun, interesting and super tasty. In fact, it’s going to be just a little hard to bake my next homemade pizza in the oven, although it may be just a teeny bit easier.
The recipe and ingredients for this pizza are super simple, but the key points that make it go above and beyond your pre-made pizzas are a homemade crust and homemade BBQ sauce. No, this isn’t my delicious Strawberry BBQ sauce from a couple of months back, this is a more traditional, savory BBQ sauce with a kick.
One Year Ago: Creamy Blueberry Ice Cream
- ¼ Cup Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1½ Tbsp. White Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Molasses
- 2 tsp. Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1½ tsp. Yellow Mustard
- ½ tsp. Onion Powder
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Liquid Smoke
- ¼ tsp. Ancho Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp. Paprika (or Smoked Paprika if you have it)
- ¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- ½ Cup Beer (Preferred: Golden Summer Ales or Lagers)
- 1 Tbsp. Rapid Rise Yeast
- ½ Cup Warm Water
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Agave Nectar
- 1¼ Cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Dried Cilantro
- ¼ tsp. Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
- Cornmeal for Sprinkling
- 1 Small Package of Gardein BBQ Shreds
- Galaxy Foods Vegan Mexican Shreds
- ½ Cup Fresh Pineapple, Chopped
- ¼ Cup Red Onion, Sliced into Slivers
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro
- Put every ingredient from the tomato paste to the beer into a blender and puree until completely smooth, you may need to add a little water depending on how thick you like it.
- Pour the mixture into a small pan and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take it of the heat and pour it into a jar or cup for easy application.
- Save the pan and saute the Gardein shreds in it for 5 minutes over medium heat. Set them aside until you top the pizza.
- Clean and preheat your grill to roughly 350-400°F. Mix the yeast with the lukewarm water until the yeast is dissolved. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix the salt, onion powder, garlic powder, olive oil, and agave nectar into the yeast mixture. Combine the flour and dried cilantro, then add the wet mixture to the flour. Knead dough until it is fully mixed, adding flour if the dough is too tacky.
- Roll dough into a ball and let sit in an oil coated bowl for 20 minutes. Afterward, roll out the dough roughly ¼” to ½” thick over cornmeal and place on pan or stone that has cornmeal sprinkled over the top (it helps with sliding the dough off).
- Bring the crust out to your grill and carefully place it over the heat (be careful of hot spots). Grill for 3-4 minutes on one side, you'll see that it starts to bubble up; then flip over and grill for 2 minutes.
- Bring the crust back inside and slather a layer of the BBQ sauce on top. Sprinkle the Mexican shreds over the sauce, arrange your BBQ Shreds, pineapple, red onion and cilantro on top.
- Lower your BBQ's heat to around 300°F and grill the pizza for 4-6 mins. make sure that you do not burn the crust (like I did, ha ha). Once the cheese is melted, and the crust is browned on the bottom, carefully take the pizza off of the grill and serve!
Now you can surprise your family and friends with a pizza made in an nontraditional way. If pineapple and BBQ sauce aren’t your thing, try out a Seitan Sausage Crumble pizza; or a Rustic Flatbread made with zucchini and arugula (perfect for summer!). Say you’re trying to eat a little healthier and want to forgo the crust, this Pizza-Stuffed Spaghetti squash is a great solution and insanely good. There are tons of options for you!
So enjoy your vegan pizza day! Tell me, what are your favorite pizza toppings?