These Raw Apple Cinnamon Almond Bars are perfect for breakfast on-the-go! Naturally sweetened and satiating, they’re also great post-workout snacks.
After making a few raw desserts, I’ve come to find out that I am in love with the crusts. They are so simple, usually made up of only dates and raw almonds, but I wanted to take it a step further and create breakfast/snack bars out of them! So, for this week’s Raw Wednesday feature I decided to elaborate on the ol’ date and almond combo and add in some seasonal warmth and produce.
Raw Apple Cinnamon Almond Bars
- 2 Cups Raw Almonds Soaked for 4 hours
- 1 1/2 Cups Dates Pitted & Soaked for an hour or more
- 3/4 Cup Date Soaking Water
- 1/3 Cup Ground Flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp. Raw Agave Nectar
- 2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Apple diced
- Drain water from almonds and dates, but save the date water. Place almonds, dates, ground flaxseed, date water, cinnamon, and agave into a food processor; pulse until the almonds are in tiny pieces, but are not creamy. Add in diced apple and pulse until the apple pieces are a little smaller and combined well with the almond mixture.
- Spread the mixture on one or two Paraflex dehydrator (depending on the size) sheets, about 1/4-1/2” high. Slice into desired-sized pieces and dehydrate overnight, or roughly 9 hours, at 110F. After that, pull the pieces carefully off of the sheet and turn them over onto just the mesh screen; dehydrate for another 9 hours at 110F.
- Take them out of the dehydrator and store them in your refrigerator. Mine are in a tupperware container with a moisture absorbing packet so that they last a little longer.
If you want to try making these bars in a shorter amount of time, and don’t care about them staying raw, use your oven! I have not tested this method, so I can’t give precise suggestions for this exact recipe. BUT, I can suggest that you try baking them on a lined sheet at 350F for 30 minutes. Then flipping slab over and cutting into squares before baking for another 20-30 minutes. If you try it out, let me know how it goes!