My friends, I have something super awesome for you today! I did a guest blog on Clean up Eat Up for Andrea (who’s newly vegetarian, aspiring to be vegan 😉 ), and I can’t wait to share it with you all. Here is a great way to speed up the cooking time AND get “realistic” looking, delicious maple seitan sausages.
This meal, for me, has a familiar feeling of being home on a Sunday morning with family and the smells and sights of it remind me of many breakfasts I had as a child. What’s different here is that it’s a much healthier alternative and a compassionate, meat-free & dairy-free meal! I took inspiration from two different seitan sausage recipes, one from Post Punk Kitchen and another from Vegan for the People, the combination of different spices from each one really made this a terrific sausage; not to mention, my non-vegan boyfriend/family loved them!
Here is a great way to speed up the cooking time AND get “realistic” looking, delicious Maple Seitan Sausages. Complete the dish with my Squash Potato Hash! You need these in your life, really! 😀
Edit: It looks as though that blog doesn’t exist anymore! So, here is the recipe for everything, below:
- 2 Cups Vital Wheat Gluten Flour
- ¼ Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp . Dried Sage
- ½ tsp . Allspice
- ½ tsp . Ground White Pepper
- ½ tsp . Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp . Ground Mustard
- 1 tsp . Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp . Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp . Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp . Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp . Liquid Smoke
- 2 Tbsp . Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, or soy sauce
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth
Squash Potato Hash
- 2 Tbsp . Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ Cups White Onion, Diced
- 2 Cups Potatoes or 3 Small Potatoes, cubed
- 1 Cup Heaping of Bell Peppers, Diced
- 2 Cups Zucchini or Summer Squash, Cubed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl, until everything is distributed evenly. Then, stir wet ingredients together in a bowl (one with a spout helps a bit) and combine with dry ingredients until the vital wheat gluten soaks all of the liquid up.
- Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes and roll it into a log-type shape. Start cutting chunks off of the dough that are about 3” long and 1” in diameter. Roll out some aluminum foil and tear it into pieces that are roughly 8”x8”. Place seitan dough in foil and roll up like a tootsie roll/taffy/candy, and set off to the side.
- Once you are done with those take a LARGE pot with a steamer basket and water, OR stacking steamer baskets, and place foil wrapped sausages into the pot. Have the water boiling/steaming over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, half way through switch the bottom sausages to the top & vice versa.
- When the sausages are firm in their wrappers, take them out with tongs and let them rest for 5 minutes; peel the foil off and serve warm, with a drizzle of maple syrup over the top if you’re into that kind of thing. 😉
Squash Potato Hash
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, place onions in pan and cook for 3 minutes. Add in potatoes and cook until they start browning, making sure to crisp all sides of the cubes.
- Add in the bell peppers and zucchini into the mix and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with Smokey Maple Seitan Sausages!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g