This Raw Quesadilla is made up of a Flaxseed Tortilla and delicious, rich, cashew cheese. Adding in some fresh fruits, really rounds out this recipe.
I subscribe to emails from Russell James the Raw Chef, partly because he is freaking adorable but, also because his recipes always look phenomenal. Most of the time, when I get his recipe emails, I bookmark them and tell myself that I’ll make them later; then I forget and they never see the light of day in my kitchen. Alas, I saw this spectacular recipe for a Falafel & Hummus Wrap and it immediately stuck out to me. I HAD to make this! Well, at least the wrap part. 😉
And so I did! Maybe a little too thin because they started to crumble a little bit, so this raw quesadilla recipe definitely makes 2 large “tortillas”, and it’s so easy to make! I ended up adding a some sprouted lentils and the outcome was very delicious, especially paired with the garlic-y cashew cheese spread. This is a great, healthy alternative to the standard quesadilla (although I love those tremendously), and involves pretty basic ingredients.
For the Tortillas:
- 2 1/2 Cups Zucchini, Peeled & Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Sprouted Lentils
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Ground Coriander
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Ground Flaxseed Meal
Ingredients for Cashew Cheese (Makes large portion, good for dipping veggies in!) :
- 2 Cups Raw Cashews, Soaked for 2-8 hours
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- For the tortillas: Place all ingredients, but the flaxseed, into a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until pureed. Add in ground flaxseed and pulse until mixed in.
- Spread batter onto two dehydrator trays with Paraflexx sheets into large circles that are close to an 1/8"-1/4" thick. Dehydrate at 105℉ for 8 hours, then when you are able to take them off of the sheets flip them over and dehydrate for an additional 30-60 minutes. Do not over dry, or else they won't be pliable and will turn into yummy crackers. 😉
- For the cashew cheese: Place all ingredients in high-speed blender or food processor and puree until smooth, with maybe little chunks so that it's not too creamy. Proceed to spread on EVERYTHING! 🙂
For the veggies inside, I dehydrated some tomatoes for a couple of hours and cut up some fresh bell pepper. Even though it was a little messy to eat by hand, it was SO worth it. I will definitely be making these tortillas again! So, happy Raw Wednesday everyone, I hope that you had a great one!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
So, enjoy this innovative raw quesadilla shamelessly!
ALSO, congrats to Anni in New York for winning the Vegan MOFO giveaway! I hope that you seriously enjoy that little box of goodies, I definitely contemplated keeping it all for myself. 😉
For more raw recipes, take a look at these!