Orange Marmalade Thumbprint Cookies drizzled with chocolate are perfect for serving at your holiday parties! Vegan, Nut-free
It’s a new month AND a new blog hop theme! The month of December is going to be filled with delightful cookie recipes, and I really can’t wait (I’m such a sucker for sweets). Please join in on the #cookielove fun by linking up any cookie recipe from the month of December 2011. Don’t forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #cookielove event! The twitter hashtag is #cookielove :).
Here is a list of all of the wonderful hosts this month!
Phew! Quite a list we have here, make sure to check them all out (even the non-vegan ones 😉 )!
Now, we proceed to MY recipe, which is quite delicious and pretty cute if I do say so myself. I’ve never made an orange marmalade or jam before, and was surprised by how easy it was to make without any references and how tasty it turned out. Chocolate and orange has always been one of my favorite flavor combinations, paired with an unbiased “butter” cookie, it is the perfect edible platter for gooey sweetness.
Whole Recipe makes roughly 30 Cookies
For the Orange Marmalade:
- 2 Cups Peeled Orange Slices, De-seeded
- 1/4 Cup Organic White Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch
- Take the orange slices and place them into a blender or a food processor and blend until slightly chunky. Pour the contents of the blender into a small sauce pan, over medium heat. Add in sugar and arrowroot powder and stir together.
- Simmer orange mixture, stirring occasionally, for roughly 25 minutes or until the mixture has the same consistency as jam. Take the pan off of the heat, and let cool. (Make the cookies while you are waiting for the marmalade to be done)
For the Thumbprint Cookies:
- 1 Cup Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
- 1 Cup Organic White Sugar
- 1 Flaxseed Egg, (1 Tbsp. Ground Flaxseed & 3 Tbsp. Warm Water mixed together)
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Almond Extract (Optional)
- 2 3/4 Cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Mix in flaxseed egg, vanilla and almond extracts. In a medium-sized bowl combine salt and flour, then slowly add to the butter mixture until evenly distributed and very slightly crumbly (not too wet).
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or silicone baking liner and start forming the dough into 2 tbsp. sized spheres, roughly 2 inches apart. Press down in the center of the dough balls to create a teaspoon sized indent for the orange marmalade filling.
- Using a measuring spoon (either 1/2 or 1 tsp.), pour the orange marmalade into each cookie, distributing it equally. Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes. (Make chocolate drizzle while the cookies are baking)
For Chocolate Drizzle:
- 1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- Melt coconut oil, stir in cocoa powder and maple syrup. Wait for the mixture to cool slightly, then pour into a sandwich bag and cut a millimeter (or two 🙂 ) sized hole into the corner of the bag. Now, you have a makeshift icing bag that you can use to decorate your cookies however you choose to.
- You can chill the cookies to completely set the chocolate drizzle but it is not necessary.
I’m taking these cookies to a movie night, tonight, and I just know that they’ll be perfect for the occasion. But, for everyone else, bring these cookies to your family and friends for a fruity, sweet treat!