These vegan chocolate linzer cookies make a great gift to friends, or a tasty contribution to a cookie swap! For a chocolate-free version, substitute carob chips for the chocolate.
This humble cookie will reluctantly steal the show at any get-together. It’s rich chocolate ganache and hints of almond pair perfectly with the subtle, flaky butter cookies. They are a little time-consuming, but it is so worth it. I’ve never made Linzer cookies before, so this was an interesting experience. I was extremely pleased with the outcome and the good feedback that I received on them!
These vegan chocolate linzer cookies would make a great activity to share with friends and family, getting help putting them together would cut the prep time drastically. You can prep the dough a few days beforehand and store it in the refrigerator to have at the ready.
If you bundle up these darling cookies, they would make great gifts or would be fantastic for a cookie exchange. Adding some vegan royal icing or sprinkles can give them extra flair. Either way, you’ll definitely need to try these out!
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) warm water
- 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 cup room-temperature vegan butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup of vegan chocolate or carob chips
- 1/2 cups + 2 Tbsp. (150 ml) unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp. powdered sugar for topping, optional
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Mix in flaxseed egg, vanilla and almond extracts. In a medium-sized bowl combine salt and flour, slowly add to the butter until the dough is crumbly but moist. Cover dough with Saran wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line two baking pans with parchment paper. Roll dough out to 1/8" thick, using a 3" wide circle cookie cutter, cut out as many shapes as your dough will allow. Separate half of the cookies, using a smaller circle or preferred shape cut out the center of those cookies.
- Place cookies onto the sheets about and 1" apart from each other, and bake for 9-10 minutes. You may have to bake these in three different sets depending on the size/quantity of your oven(s).
- While the cookies are baking and cooling on racks, melt the carob/chocolate chips with non-dairy milk in a small pan over medium heat. Add in almond extract and stir until an even consistency. Take off of heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- When the cookies have cooled sprinkle powdered sugar over the cookie tops (ones with the cutouts), and spread a teaspoon or so of the ganache on the bottom of the cookie bases. Create a cookie sandwich by putting the tops onto the bases. After all of the cookies are assembled, refrigerate them so that they can set.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
For more cookie recipes, check out the links below: