Make these Double Chocolate Cake Cookies for a special someone, or bring them to a party! You’ll be everyone’s favorite friend. 😉
Sometimes I get festive, and it could be for the most random of holidays. Did I make any special desserts for Thanksgiving? No. Did I make any delicious Christmas or New Year’s themed desserts during the Winter holiday season? Maybe one. But, here’s Valentine’s day; a holiday that people either love or hate. Although, I find that I am pretty indifferent to it when it comes to being romantic; for my friends and family though? I love to make cute, little crafts or buy some cards. Now that I think about it, it’s sort of odd.
This #chocolatelove bloghop has inspired me further, and I decided that I’d make a huge batch of cookies to give to my friends and family in little care packages. I went searchin’ around the internet for a cookie recipe to start messing with; I found one at Food.com that was right along the lines of what I was looking for. One of the reviews says that the cookies have a brownie-like texture, and once I took a majority of the oil out of the recipe it exaggerated the consistency even more! (hence the Double Chocolate Cake Cookies name) These cookies are essentially hand-held cakes with rich chocolate chips and tart dried cranberries in them to break up the chocolate-flavor. I didn’t put any nuts in the batch but I STRONGLY suggest it.
I made a double batch of these because the original recipe said that it made 19, well I ended up with closer to 48 cookies (see that huge bowl of cookie dough up there? ^^^). The cranberries poke out of the moist cookies like tiny rubies imbedded in a mound of chocolatey goodness, making them the perfect V-day treat!
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk, or any other Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Flaxseed
- 1 1/4 Cup Organic Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil, or any other unbiased oil, coconut would be great if you like that
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 Cup Vegan Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2-1 Cup Chopped Pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Warm the coconut milk in the microwave then stir in the flaxseed, set it to the side for a couple of minutes to let it gel a bit.
- In a large bowl, stir together the rest of the wet ingredients and sugar until well mixed. Add in the coconut milk/flaxseed mixture and stir again. In a medium bowl, sift the flours, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt together. Add the dry mix into the wet mix one cup at a time (it's easier and less messy this way).
- Once the dough is formed, fold in the chocolate chips, cranberries and nuts. You will need two cookie sheets for baking, I poured roughly 1/2 tsp. of oil onto each one and spread it so that the cookies didn't stick. You could also use parchment paper or a silicone sheet, as well.
- Form relatively round, 2 Tbsp. cookie shapes 2" apart on the baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes; when the timer has gone off, take the sheets out of the oven and let the cookies rest on them until they are cooler. Place the cookies on racks until they are fully cool, or just eat them up!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
I packaged up my Double Chocolate Cake Cookies in groups of four and bid them adieu this morning, at least I set aside a few for myself. 🙂 Maybe that wasn’t such a good idea, seeing as how I didn’t go to the gym last night!
These little care packages turned out so cute, if I don’t say so myself! All it took was a couple of sheets of red & pink construction paper, a pair a scissors and some puffy paint to make these shiny foil boxes look festive. I used the hearts as spacers between the cookies so they didn’t get stuck together, which would be a great idea if you were to have all of these on a platter. Here’s a few of the boxes that I made:
The bloghop, this month, is filled with so many amazing blogs! I love that I’m able to be a part of it, and continue to share the foodie love. Here’s a list of all of the bloggers that are participating!
Baking and Cooking, A Tale of Two Loves ~ Becky HigginsBaking Extravaganza ~ SamanthaEasily Good Eats ~ Three CookiesElephant Eats ~ AmyKitchen Belleicious ~ Jessica
Please join in on the #chocolatelove fun by linking up any chocolate recipe from the month of February 2012. Don’t forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #chocolatelove event! The twitter hashtag is #chocolatelove.