A delicious Mexican Tofu Frittata for any brunch! Filled with fajita veggies and vegan cheese. Yum!
Cinco de Mayo is one of those holidays that are celebrated for reasons that have nothing to do with the actual holiday. I, personally, don’t need an excuse to have a good time and eat Mexican food (living in Southern California helps with that). But, it does offer some extra inspiration for dishes I might normally think about. This brings me to the recipe that I made this morning; after my first attempt at making a tofu frittata was a success, I thought a new version was in order. The Mexican tofu frittata!
This time I added some great ingredients to make this Mexican tofu frittata Cinco de Mayo appropriate. With deliciously sweet bell pepper, filling black beans and aromatic red onion, this dish makes a wonderful breakfast or brunch. Top it with a simple pico de gallo straight out of the oven and you have something that is simple to make but looks like a restaurant-quality meal!
Mexican Tofu Frittata
- 1 tsp . Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Red Onion Slivered
- 1 Package of Firm Tofu
- 1/2 Cup Galaxy Foods Vegan Mexican Shreds plus 1/4 Cup for topping
- 1/2 tsp . Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp . Turmeric
- 1/3 tsp . Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 Cup Yellow Bell Pepper Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Black Beans
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a medium-sized pan or cast iron pan. Once hot, throw in the onions and let them simmer for 3 minutes.
- Unpackage the tofu and drain the water, place it into a food processor with the Mexican Cheese Shreds, onion powder, turmeric, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Process until the mixture is smooth, you may need to scrape down the sides a couple of times to get it to the right consistency.
- Return your attention back to the onions, add bell peppers, tomatoes and black beans to the pan and cook until the bell peppers start to soften.
- Scoop the tofu mixture into the pan, and combine with the rest of the ingredients and spread it out evenly (as pictured above).
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lower the heat on the stove to low-medium and cook the frittata until it browns around the edges.
- Place the pan into the oven for 20-25 minutes. Dice some tomato, red onion and cilantro together and garnish the frittata with it once it is done baking. Wait 5-10 minutes to serve.
As always, this recipe is highly customizable and you can always switch out ingredients; just know that it won’t taste as good as mine. 😉 What are some of your favorite Mexican-style dishes?
Disclaimer: The Galaxy Foods Vegan Mexican Shreds were sent to me to make a recipe with.