A delicious Tex-Mex Tofu Frittata for any brunch! Filled with fajita veggies and vegan cheese. Yum!
Galaxy Foods came out with a “Mexican” cheese blend that’s vegan! After sending me some, I decided to try them out in a few different dishes. This brings me to the recipe that I made this morning; after my first attempt at making a tofu frittata was a success, I thought a new version was in order. The Tex-Mex tofu frittata!
This time I added some great ingredients to give this tofu frittata some Southwestern flair. With deliciously sweet bell pepper, filling black beans and aromatic red onion, this dish makes a wonderful breakfast or brunch. Top it with a simple pico de gallo straight out of the oven and you have something that is simple to make but looks like a restaurant-quality meal!
- 1 tsp . Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Red Onion, Slivered
- 1 Package of Firm Tofu
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Mexican Shreds, plus 1/4 Cup for topping
- 1/2 tsp . Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp . Turmeric
- 1/3 tsp . Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 Cup Yellow Bell Pepper, Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Tomato, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Black Beans
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a medium-sized pan or cast iron pan. Once hot, throw in the onions and let them simmer for 3 minutes.
- Unpackage the tofu and drain the water, place it into a food processor with the Mexican Cheese Shreds, onion powder, turmeric, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Process until the mixture is smooth, you may need to scrape down the sides a couple of times to get it to the right consistency.
- Return your attention back to the onions, add bell peppers, tomatoes and black beans to the pan and cook until the bell peppers start to soften.
- Scoop the tofu mixture into the pan, and combine with the rest of the ingredients and spread it out evenly (as pictured above).
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lower the heat on the stove to low-medium and cook the frittata until it browns around the edges.
- Place the pan into the oven for 20-25 minutes. Dice some tomato, red onion and cilantro together and garnish the frittata with it once it is done baking. Wait 5-10 minutes to serve.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
As always, this recipe is highly customizable and you can always switch out ingredients; just know that it won’t taste as good as mine. 😉 What are some of your favorite Mexican or Southwestern style dishes?
Disclaimer: The Galaxy Foods Vegan Mexican Shreds were sent to me to make a recipe with.