This Mexican Macaroni & Cheeze is not your typical vegan mac, this dish has some added flair with ingredients like jalapenos, cayenne, and black beans!
It may not be the very start of the month, but today is the start of a new bloghop! I thought for a bit that I wasn’t going to be able to participate in this month’s theme, but inspiration (and a little extra time) struck and I had my first dish made before I knew it! Of course, I had almost every ingredient on hand.. except for normal pasta noodles. But, I did find a bag of macaroni salad noodles in a deep, dark corner of my pantry; hey, it ended up working out great! It just looks a lil’ funny.
There is just one problem with this amazing Mexican Macaroni & Cheeze dish, it is HIGHLY addictive; so much so, that I ended up tagging it as #vegannicotine on my instagram. My friend Amanda and I were having a hard time keeping ourselves from grabbing thirds, but the fact that our tummies were full stopped us ahead of time. This dish has all of the comfort of traditional mac & cheese, just with some added oomph!
- 6-8 Cups of Water
- 2 Cups Dried Noodles
- 2 Cups Vegan Cheese Shreds, mine was a 1:1 mix of Cheddar Teese and Galaxy Food's Vegan Mexican Shreds
- 2 Tbsp . Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2-3/4 Cup Non-Dairy Milk, depending on how creamy/thick you want it
- 3/4 Cup Cooked Black Beans
- 1/2 Cup Tomato, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Bell Pepper (preferably Red, Orange or Yellow), Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Green Onion, Diced
- 1 Tbsp . Fresh Jalapeño, Diced
- 1 Tbsp . Fresh Cilantro, Minced
- 1 1/2 tsp . Onion Powder
- 1 tsp . Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp . Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a medium/large pot, boil the water over medium heat. Once it is boiling, add in the noodles and boil for 8-12 minutes (depending on the noodle or directions).
- While the noodles are boiling, in a small pan on medium heat, start sauteing the black beans, tomato, bell pepper, green onions, jalapeño, and cilantro together until the bell peppers start to soften (approx. 5-7 minutes).
- When the noodles are fully cooked, drain all of the water out of the pot, but leave the noodles inside. Stir the cheeze into the hot noodles over low-medium heat, until melted.
- Add the nutritional yeast to the noodle mixture, stir together, then add in the desired amount of non-dairy milk to your preferred consistency.
- Stir the vegetable mixture into the noodles, add the cayenne, onion powder and garlic powder as well. Taste the dish and season accordingly with salt and pepper. Serve warm!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
What is one of your favorite recipes for Mac & Cheese? Don’t like mac & cheese, what’s your favorite pasta?
The bloghop, this month, is filled with so many amazing blogs! I love that I’m able to be a part of it, and continue to share the foodie love. Here’s a list of all of the bloggers that are participating!
ASTIG Vegan ~ Richgail ~ @astigvegan
Badger Girl Learns to Cook ~ Kimberly ~ @BdgrGrl
BigFatBaker ~ Erin ~ @BigFatBaker
Bon a croquer ~ Valerie ~ @Valouth
Cake Duchess ~ Lora ~ @cakeduchess
Elephant Eats ~ Amy
Hobby And More ~ Richa ~ @betit19
Mis Pensamientos ~ Junia ~ @juniakk
No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ TR ~ @TRCrumbley
Oh Cake ~ Jessica ~ @jesshose
Rico sin Azucar ~ Helena ~ @ricosinazucar
Simply Reem ~ Reem ~ @simplyreem
Soni’s Food for Thought ~ Soni ~ @sonisfood
Teaspoon of Spice ~ Deanna ~ @tspbasil
That Skinny Chick Can Bake ~ Liz ~ @Thatskinnychick
The Spicy RD ~ EA ~ @thespicyrd
The Wimpy Vegetarian ~ Susan ~ @wimpyvegetarian
Vegan Yack Attack! ~ Jackie ~ @veganyackattack
Vegetarian Mamma ~ Cindy ~ @VegetarianMamma
You Made That? ~ Suzanne ~ @YouMadeThatblog
Please join in on the #pastalove fun by linking up any pasta recipe from the month of May 2012. Don’t forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #pastalove event! The twitter hashtag is #pastalove.