It’s been a little tough getting used to being back home and in my kitchen, I must say. After going out to eat for nearly every meal last week, I’ve been semi-spoiled by the convenience of it all. Slowly, but surely, I’ve been getting back into the mix of things; yesterday I grabbed some gorgeous produce from the local farmers market and I can’t wait to use it.
But, before I utilize the aromatic tomatoes and colorful nectarines, there has been one item hanging out in my pantry for a while. I felt a bit intimidated by it, but after this good experience I’m looking forward to the next time it makes an appearance! The ominous ingredient is Nori, well, the raw sheets of it to be exact. I bought it with the intent to try making rolls for the first time, and I’ve finally gotten around to doing so (especially since buying a sushi roller when I was in SF).
This Brown Rice Veggie Roll is a super basic, but very delicious, recipe. I have substituted the typical white rice with brown for a slightly healthier version, and used some fresh veggies as filling. Recipes like this one are super customizable, so feel free to switch out ingredients to what you have on hand, although my version is very good. 😉
- 2-10 " Sheets of Raw Nori Not Toasted
- 1 Cup Steamed Brown Rice Cooled to around room temperature
- 1 Carrot Julienne Cut or Shredded
- in Green Onion Green Part Sliced half Length-wise
- 1/2 Avocado thinly sliced
- Sunflower Sprouts
- Sesame Seeds
- Shallow Small Dish of Water
- Optional: Liquid Aminos
- Here's a great tutorial on <a title="How to Roll Sushi" href="http://www.bhg.com/recipes/fish/basics/how-to-roll-sushi/" target="_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.bhg.com/recipes/fish/basics/how-to-roll-sushi/">Better Homes and Gardens</a> on how to roll sushi, except instead of salmon, wasabi and cucumber, use the fillings that I have listed. 🙂
- The Liquid Aminos is for dipping instead of soy sauce.
This recipe makes two rolls (1 for each person), or more servings if you make it as an appetizer.
Have you ever rolled your own Brown Rice Veggie Roll at home? What are some of your favorite (vegan) sushi fillings?
Other brown rice recipes: