Roasted Veggie Guacamole: Not your typical Guacamole, this dip is filled with roasted veggies that bring a caramelized sweetness to its refreshing base.
It seems as though the Summer heat is still raging on here in Southern California, doesn’t the Mother Nature know that I want it to be Fall already?! Oh well… ‘Tis the season for the start of football, from what I’ve heard from family and friends. I’m not a huge sports fan, as far as following teams goes; I’m more into the idea of actually playing sports, myself. Either way, I do like to find any reason at all to get together with friends and have a great time, even if it does revolve around 300 lb. men ramming their heads into each other. *Ouch!*
What better snack to have on hand than guacamole? Seriously. I feel as though it is a mandatory party food, and is almost always amazing (depending on who makes it, obviously ;)). I have made guacamole several different ways, but thought that I’d try something a little different this time around. Something that gave the guacamole deeper flavors, that weren’t necessarily as fresh as some recipes, but that made it utterly addicting. It just so happened that my grill started malfunctioning a couple of days before I made this, but that alone did not discourage me. On to the oven!
I know that the last thing you want to do in this heat is turn on your oven, but I assure you, this is more than worth it. Plus, you can chop up the ingredients smaller when they’re on a baking sheet as opposed to being on the grill, which makes the veggies roast faster and saves you time and more of a mess. Also, roasting the onion and garlic takes a bit of the bite away that it usually has when it’s raw, giving it a sweet, more mellow taste. Mmmm…
One Year Ago: Big Ol’ Salad!
Roasted Veggie Guacamole
- 1 C . Red Onion Chopped
- 3/4 C . Red Bell Pepper w/o Seeds and Stem, Chopped
- 3/4 C . Tomato Chopped
- 1/2 C . Corn Kernels
- 3 Tbsp . Fresh Jalapeño w/o Seeds and Stem, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic Sliced
- 1 tsp . Melted Coconut Oil
- 4 C . Avocados Mashed
- 2 Tbsp . Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp . Fresh Cilantro Minced
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and get a small baking sheet out. In a large bowl, toss together the red onion, bell pepper, tomato, corn, jalapeño, garlic and coconut oil, along with a couple shakes of salt and pepper.
- Spread the veggies out on the baking sheet evenly and roast them for 18-20 minutes (make sure that they do not burn).
- While the veggies are roasting, use the same large bowl to mash together the avocados, lime juice and cilantro.
- Once the veggies are done roasting, add them to the avocado mash and stir together thoroughly, even mashing them together a bit.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and set in the refrigerator to cool for 30 mins. This also helps the flavors meld together. Serve with fresh jicama sticks or your favorite organic tortilla chips.
When I was done making the roasted veggie guacamole, I had a hard time keeping myself from eating it all in one sitting! It’s honestly addictive, and will be a stand out dish at the next party you attend. What are some of your favorite ways to use guacamole?