An easy-to-make and flavorful smoky corn chowder, perfect for cool nights. This recipe is dairy-free, for a lighter, delicious vegan version of a classic.
I know that I’m always talking about the weather, but when it comes to food, it dictates so much! A warm breeze with light humidity may call for a plate of tacos, cold and rainy days may make you reach for a comforting pot pie, and a hot, thunderstorm coming your way will have you leaving all appliances off. Well, yesterday there was a freak day in which the weather decide to stay under 80ºF and remain cloudy for most of the day -chilly I know ;)- so I wanted to take full advantage of the break in intense heat and humidity. It was time for soup!
Of course, it still is summer so I couldn’t forget to use some ingredients that depicted a bit of the season. In this case, I chose corn; as a starchy, slightly sweet vegetable it is pretty versatile. One dish that I love, that I very rarely eat- oddly enough- that utilizes the golden kernels well is corn chowder. A creamy, usually insanely delicious, soup that isn’t all that healthy most of the time. Well, with my recipe, I’ve added a good amount of other veggies, used far less creamer/milk, and added a smoky flair to it. Once the smoky corn chowder was simmering on my stove, near completion, my kitchen filled with amazing aromas. For a moment I stepped outside to check up on the dogs, but when I came back in, the scents enveloped me and hugged my nostrils gently. Yes, it smells that good.
Not only does my version of smoky corn chowder taste great, it is really easy to make and doesn’t take long at all! Soup recipes- to me at least- can sometimes be intimidating because of the length of time they take to prepare, not so with this one. I think I’ll be making this soup again once the weather truly cools down, and who knows, maybe I’ll even share it. 😀
One Year Ago: Half & Half Veggie Seitan Sausage Pizza
Smoky Corn Chowder
An easy-to-make and flavorful smoky corn chowder, perfect for cool nights.
- 1 tsp . Coconut Oil
- 1 C . White Onion Diced
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 C . Button Mushrooms Chopped
- 1-15 oz . Can Organic Corn Kernels Drained
- 15 oz Can Organic Corn Kernels Drained and Pureed
- 1 1/2 C . No Salt Added Vegetable Broth
- 1 C . Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Basil Chiffonade Cut
- 1/3 C . Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp . Liquid Aminos
- 3/4 tsp . Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp . Onion Powder
- 2 C . Fresh Baby Spinach Packed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. When the pot is hot, start sauteing the onion for 2 mins., then add the minced garlic to the mixture. Sauté for another 2 minutes or until the onions become more clear.
Add the mushrooms to the pot and sauté until they start to reduce in size and become soft. Stir in the whole kernels of corn as well as the pureéd corn mixture, veggie broth and non-dairy milk.
- Shake the nutritional yeast over the top, to dissolve it quickly. Then, add the liquid aminos, paprika, and onion powder to the soup. Bring to a boil, and adjust heat so that it becomes a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir the spinach and basil into the mixture about 5 minutes before you are going to serve the soup, and add salt and pepper to taste.
Potassium: 382.8 mg
Vitamin A: 125.5%
Vitamin C: 46.4%
Serve this soup with a hearty toast, a large salad, or both! Just to keep things balanced of course. What’s your favorite recipe that uses corn?