A melody of flavors in this marinated Balsamic Baked Tofu Sandwich come together to produce great results!
Today, I am tired. Don’t ask me why, I really couldn’t tell you. So, I’m not feeling like my talkative ol’ self right now and will keep this relatively brief. This Balsamic Baked Tofu Sandwich recipe was inspired by some mail that I received today, and I felt that making a sandwich of my own was highly appropriate. I looked around my fridge feeling a tad uninspired, when I spotted a block of tofu in the back! My first thought was smoky, but I feel like that’s all this blog has been lately so I went in another direction.
Marinated and baked tofu atop a little arugula, with a pile of sautéed onions, peppers and mushrooms on top. I added a little mashed avocado with garlic salt, but hummus would be great, too. Or, you could get a little weird (like I did) and lightly dunk your sandwich into the remainder of your marinade. It’s delicious, I promise.
One Year Ago: Fruity Pumpkin Smoothie
Balsamic Baked Tofu Sandwich
- 1 Block Extra Firm Tofu Pressed for at least 30 mins
- 1/4 C . Water
- 3 Tbsp . Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp . Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp . Liquid Aminos
- 2 tsp . Dijon Mustard
- 3/4 tsp . Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1 C . White Onions Sliced into Slivers
- 1 Clove Garlic Sliced
- 1 C . Red Bell Pepper Sliced into short strips
- 1 C . Button Mushrooms Sliced
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 C . Arugula packed (or to your preference)
- 6 Slices of your bread of choice I used whole wheat
- Optional: mashed avocado hummus, etc. as a spread
- Slice your tofu block into three wide/broad slices and place them in a bag or small dish.
- Whisk together the balsamic, water, olive oil, liquid aminos, mustard, and dried Italian seasoning; then pour over the slices of tofu and marinate for 2 hours or more in the refrigerator. To get better coverage, flip container/bag over half way through.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Once the tofu has marinated, place it into a baking dish or sheet, without the marinade, and bake for 12 mins. Flip the pieces over and bake an additional 13 mins.
- While the tofu is baking, warm a small pan over medium heat. Dry saute the onions with the garlic and bell pepper once it gets hot.
- Once the onions start to turn clear, lower the heat just a little and add the mushrooms to the mix. Saute until the mushrooms shrink and become soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread and place arugula onto the bottom slice. When the tofu is done baking place it on top of the arugula and add the veggie saute mix to that.
- Mash avocado into the top slice and close the sandwich up. If you want to add more tartness from the marinade, pour it into a small pan and bring it to a simmer for 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Let it cool and it will reduce, for drizzling.
Vitamin A: 20%
Vitamin C: 115%
Iron: 11% This does not include avocado, hummus or other toppings; but, does include the entire marinade. Nutritional Information is approximate and varies when different ingredients are used.
Now, who’s excited for my review of Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! , next month?!