A comforting meal of tomato spinach soup in a toasted sourdough bowl, topped with melted cheddar shreds; AKA the Tomato Spinach Grilled Cheese Bread Bowl!
It has been raining, well sprinkling really, all day today and the weather is nice and cool. No gusty winds or downpours, just enough rain drops to cover everything in a thin layer of water. It’s days like today that remind me of when I was in grade school. Whenever it rained, it always meant that it was time for grilled cheese sandwiches and soup. Now, whenever it rains, I feel that I am obligated to make some version of this, like a grilled cheese sandwich made with focaccia dipped in tomato basil soup.
Today was a day to do things a little differently, though. I’ve had some bread bowl loaves hanging out in my freezer, and I was just waiting for the perfect recipe to use them. What I thought of was an amalgamation of things that I love! One being tomato soup (with spinach in this case), another being sourdough bread bowls, and lastly, some cheddar shreds. All of the ingredients came together beautifully, as a Tomato Spinach Grilled Cheese Bread Bowl; it is definitely the epitome of comfort food.
Of course, the only problem with tomato soup when it’s nearly December is that tomatoes are not in season (but, don’t tell my tomato plant that), so I have resorted to using canned sauces and tomatoes. Which I have to say, feels a lot like cheating considering that I’m used to roasting tomatoes and making soup from scratch. But, this makes it a super easy recipe to make, that your family can enjoy in no time.
One Year Ago: Raw Banana Cacao Cookies with Cinnamon Dip
- 18 ounces No Salt–Added tomato Sauce
- 15 ounces Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. onion Powder
- 1 tsp. garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Basil
- 3/4 tsp. Sea salt
- 2 Cups firmly packed Fresh Spinach
- 1/4 tsp. Crushed Red pepper
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 Sourdough Bread Loaf Bowls, Hollowed out
- 1/2 Cup Daiya Cheddar Shreds
- Place the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and veggie broth into a blender and pulse until you get your desired consistency. I blended mine until smooth.
- Pour into a medium-sized pot that is over medium heat. Stir the onion powder, garlic powder, dried basil and sea salt into the tomato mixture and bring to a simmer.
- Stir the spinach into the soup and simmer for 10 minutes over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is wilted. Season with crushed red and black peppers and leave on low heat while you prep the bread bowls.
- Preheat your oven to 375º. Take your bread loaves, which should be hollowed out so that the walls are at least 1″ thick all the way around.
- Place all of the bread bowls onto a baking sheet and divide the tomato soup amongst all of them. Sprinkle the cheddar shreds over the soup as to create a thin layer on each bowl. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until the shreds are melted, and serve immediately. But, be careful, they’ll be very hot!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Just tear that bowl apart and you have a built-in grilled cheese sandwich, already dipped in tomato soup! It is pretty terrific, and I think I’m going to mess around a bit with the recipe in the future. Possibly fill the bowl with a creamy corn chowder? My mouth is watering just thinking about the possibilities!
What is your favorite rainy day, comfort food?