This breakfast of pecan persimmon oatmeal is warm, aromatic, filled with sweet persimmon, plus crunchy pecans and spices. Delicious and quick!
I was hoping to get this post up this past weekend, but due to some technical difficulties it didn’t happen. Boo! Thankfully, I can still share this delicious breakfast Persimmon Pecan Oatmeal recipe with you. The reason for the urgency is that I’m participating in a #nutlove bloghop this month! Where a group of bloggers link all of their recipes with one theme, this month being all kinds of nuts.
Oats, for me, are the easy, go-to meal that I make when I have a good appetite in the morning. They’re so easy to make and you can switch around the additions and spices to make an infinite amount of possibilities.
This time I’ve taken beautiful, ripe persimmons and combined them with crunchy pecans, ground cinnamon and cardamom. What you end up with is an aromatic and sweet breakfast dish that is light, but still filling. And really, all of these ingredients are easy to find around this time of the year, so you have no excuse not to try it out. 😉
Substitutions & Tips
- Persimmons – so there are two main types of persimmon that you can find. One is Hachiya, which is astringent and pointier in shape. You MUST wait for this one to be quite soft before eating or else it’s a poor experience. Fuyu on the other hand – more tomato-like in shape – can be eaten when more on the firm side, though I don’t recommend eating a hard fuyu. Peel them before using either in a recipe.
- Rolled oats – if avoiding gluten, make sure to get oats labeled “gluten-free” specifically. You could also use quinoa flakes here, if need be.
- Non-dairy milk – pretty much any non-dairy milk will work here. I like to buy original unsweetened types so that I can add flavoring and sweetness to my preference.
- Maple syrup – you are welcome to use any liquid sweetener in place of maple syrup, whether it’s agave nectar, coconut nectar, monk fruit syrup, or the like. Just taste as you go and adjust accordingly.
- Cinnamon & ground cardamom – I LOVE this combo with persimmons and feel they complement each other quite well. You’re welcome to throw a little ground ginger, allspice, or even clove in there for a “pumpkin spice” vibe.
- Pecans – if avoiding nuts, use pumpkin or sunflower seeds as a substitute.
More Vegan Oatmeal Recipes:
- Chunky Monkey Baked Oatmeal
- Matcha Coconut Oatmeal
- Baked Plum Pistachio Oatmeal Cups
- Citrusy Pumpkin Oatmeal with Cranberries
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup peeled and chopped, ripe persimmon
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2-3/4 cup Water, May need more
- 5-6 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Place all ingredients, except for the pecans, in a small pot over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer and lower heat to low-medium, stirring occasionally.
- Once the mixture starts to thicken up, stir in the pecan pieces. Adjust recipe to your liking by adding more non-dairy milk/water or adding more maple syrup for sweetness, then serve.
You can use agave syrup instead of maple syrup, or switch the pecans out for seeds, and the almond milk out for soy, if you have a nut allergy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 449Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 10gSugar: 34gProtein: 11g
The nutrition information is calculated by a plug-in, and isn't always accurate. Please calculate your own with the products that you use, as it will be different for everyone.
The month of December is going to be filled with delightful nut recipes, and I really can’t wait. Please join in on the #nutlove fun by linking up any nut recipe from the month of December 2012. Don’t forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #nutlove event! The twitter hashtag is #nutlove .
Badger Girl Learns to Cook ~ Kimberly
Cheap Ethnic Eatz ~ Evelyne
No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ T.R.
Rico sin Azúcar ~ Helena
Teaspoon of Spice ~ Serena
The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen ~ Susan Palmer
The Spicy RD ~ EA Stewart
Vegan Yack Attack ~ Jackie S.