Smoky Sweet Potato Soup, slightly spicy-filled with sweet potatoes, carrots and red onion. Paired with jalapeño cornbread, it’s the perfect meal!
A good chunk of this past week’s weather involved drizzling and cool temperatures, and believe me, it was more than welcomed here. I was thankful that there was no torrential downpours or gale-force winds, just stillness and cloud cover. If it was extreme, I wouldn’t have been able to go outside a little and take some photos, and I love taking photos. 😉 This weather obviously calls for more comfort food! Which leads me to the 10 lb. sack of organic sweet potatoes that I got at Costco recently. That’s a lot of freakin’ sweet potatoes.
So, I decided to roast them, as I do with almost everything else in the Fall and Winter seasons. But, in the midst of doing so I get a text from my friend Tristan, “Soup Coffee Pie Let’s gooooo!!!”, to which I responded, “I’m actually making soup right now!” I then invited him over to join me in my feasting and decided that corn bread should be made, because duh, it’s cornbread. This is where I paused, because I don’t have a go-to cornbread recipe.
Using my favorite tool, Google, I came upon Pickles & Honey’s Simple Vegan Cornbread recipe and couldn’t wait to switch it up a bit. I honestly changed quite a lot of the recipe, using coconut oil instead of canola, adding 2 tbsp. pickled jalapeños, and using 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup creamed corn instead of non-dairy milk. In the end I think I could have added a little more maple syrup or salt in it, and next time use a little more corn meal instead of a 1:1 ratio; but, it was still pretty tasty with a little vegan butter on top. It’s even better crumbled over this delicious, smoky sweet potato soup.
Hints of chipotle, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper for a kick, warm you up quickly. While a touch of maple syrup brings out the slight sweetness of the sweet potatoes and carrots. Roasting everything before letting it simmer in broth really caramelizes the veggies and gives their flavors more depth. I used an immersion blender for this recipe! But, you can always blend in batches to reach a thickness and texture of your preference.
One Year Ago: Smoky Pumpkin Mac & Cheeze
Smoky Sweet Potato Soup
A smoky, slightly spicy, soup filled with sweet potatoes, carrots and red onion. Paired with jalapeño cornbread, it’s the perfect meal!
- 1 1/2 cups Chopped Red onion
- 2 cups Chopped Carrots
- 4 cups chopped Sweet potatoes, (I left the skin on)
- 4 Whole Cloves of Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 tsp. Smoked Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
- 3 cups Vegetable broth
- 1 cups Water
- 1 Tbsp. Braggs Liquid Aminos, or coconut aminos for a soy-free option
- 1 Tbsp. Maple syrup
- 1/2 Tbsp. Liquid Smoke
- 1 tsp. Dried Cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Chipotle Pepper Flakes
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºGet a large bowl and a large baking sheet ready.
- Place the red onion, carrots, sweet potatoes and garlic into the large bowl and drizzle the olive oil over the top. Add the smoked sea salt and black pepper to the bowl and stir until all pieces are evenly coated. Spread the veggie mixture out into a single layer on the baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes/carrots are soft and have browned a little.
- Next, warm the vegetable broth and water in a large pot on the stove, over medium heat. Carefully add the roasted vegetables to the broth mixture and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low-medium heat for 5 minutes.
- At this point, you can either use an immersion blender to puree the soup or blend a little at a time. If you use a blender or food processor be VERY careful! I used an immersion blender, but didn’t completely puree the soup; it’s great slightly chunky.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and have the soup simmer for 10 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
This Smoky Sweet Potato Soup has a creamy texture, without any need for creams or milks. Plus, it’s FILLED with Vitamin A. Needless to say, between three people, this soup was finished off in no time at all. If you want to offer it as an appetizer you may be able to squeeze 4 or 5 servings out of it. Either way, make sure to try this out!
10 Fall Soup Recipes | Balancing Motherhood
Tuesday 24th of September 2019
[…] Yack Attack – Smoky Sweet Potato Soup with Jalapeno Cornbread – This soup packs a punch with sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions, all topped with a […]
Dairy-Free Thanksgiving Recipes Everyone Will Love - Switch4Good
Tuesday 11th of June 2019
[…] Find the recipe here. […]
10 Fall Soup Recipes | Balancing Motherhood
Saturday 25th of August 2018
[…] Vegan Yack Attack – Smoky Sweet Potato Soup with Jalapeno Cornbread […]
Friday 15th of December 2017
I also couldn't find the recipe. I made this last year and it popped up in my facebook memories, so I wanted to make it again! But the recipe is not there :(
Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack!
Saturday 16th of December 2017
Hi Kyla! I'm so sorry for the inconvenience! This recipe is in the old plug-in and needs to be transferred over, but it's back up in the mean time. So glad you enjoyed it, the first time, and again, so sorry!
Tuesday 17th of October 2017
I checked the whole page and I don't see the recipe here. Am I missing it? It looks amazing and I want to try it!