Buttery walnuts and crispy coconut pair perfectly with roasted Brussels sprouts and a raisin vinaigrette. Vegan, Gluten-free, Soy-free
I hope that everyone has had a terrific weekend! I won’t lie, mine was a little crazy, but in a good way. I think. 😉 First, my friend Michelle and I did a Tour de Gluttony starting at Healthy Junk in Anaheim and then went down to San Diego for Balboa Park December Nights. We didn’t eat at December Nights, but did go into the Science Center and the Natural History Museum, where we proceeded to get a little goofy. Below is my impression of a whale skeleton, that yoga sure is paying off!
We (both being vegan) were in luck, because right down the street from us was Evolution Fast Food. I haven’t really been to any vegan restaurants in San Diego so I was very excited for this. I ended up getting the Mushroom Swiss Burger which was good, and some chick’n strips (which I asked for as buffalo but was given original). I enjoyed the strips with a chipotle dip, but was not done yet. Since we had walked quite a bit we needed to end this meal the right way – with dessert, naturally. We shared some peppermint soft serve, and I’m telling you, this stuff was incredible. I would contemplate making the 2-hour trip down to SD just for that soft serve; it’s that good.
Saturday was filled with running errands and going to a cowboy bar. Have you ever been to a place like this? It’s actually pretty fun; even if you’re terrible at line dancing (ME). Now, it’s Monday and time to get to work! I have a big project that I’m working on for someone, that I’m incredibly excited about. That being said, I’ve kind of put my cookbook on hold for now. But, this is great for you because this roasted Brussels sprouts recipe that I’m sharing was going to be in it!
What great timing, right?! It’s the holidays, where there is no shortage of sides for family meals, and this recipe is perfect for that. We have a combination of buttery walnuts, roasted Brussels sprouts, toasted coconut, and a sweet raisin vinaigrette. Just scoop the roasted veggies onto your plate and drizzle a little sauce on top. It has great colors, and is as easy to make as it is to serve.
- 1 1/2 lb. Brussels Sprouts
- 1 C. Raw Walnuts, Chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Coconut Flakes, not shredded
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Sea salt
- 1/2 C. Raisins, Soaked in hot water for 30 min
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh–Squeezed lemon Juice
- 1/8 tsp. Black pepper
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat your oven to 375º. Chop the brussel sprouts into quarters, and place them into a large bowl. Add the walnuts, coconut flakes, 1/2 tbsp. olive oil and sea salt to the same bowl.
- Toss everything together so that the olive oil coating is even. Spread the mixture out in a large baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes, turning the mixture over every 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the rest of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until completely smooth. Pour into a small bowl or dressing boat and set aside.
- Once the brussel sprouts are cooked completely, take them out of the oven and serve with the vinaigrette on the side.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
The month of December is going to be filled with delightful nut recipes, and I really can’t wait. Please join in on the #nutlove fun by linking up any nut recipe from the month of December 2012. Don’t forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #nutlove event! The twitter hashtag is #nutlove .
Badger Girl Learns to Cook ~ Kimberly
Cheap Ethnic Eatz ~ Evelyne
No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ T.R.
Rico sin Azúcar ~ Helena
Teaspoon of Spice ~ Serena
The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen ~ Susan Palmer
The Spicy RD ~ EA Stewart
Vegan Yack Attack ~ Jackie S.