This Lover’s Chocolate Cake is an absolutely delicious dessert that is actually on the healthy side! Plus, it’s filled with love-inducing ingredients.
I know what you’re thinking, you see all of the chocolate involved in this cake and you may say to yourself, “I think she means Chocolate Lovers Cake”. Well, sure, this cake is for chocolate lovers of all kinds! But, this recipe is a little more involved than just chocolate. Even though Valentine’s day was yesterday, why don’t we share the love today, as well?
As you may or may not know, chocolate (or cocoa rather) is considered an aphrodisiac. But, there are also a few other plant-based foods that are on the same list, such as: almonds, asparagus, avocado, bananas, basil, figs, and garlic (dragon breath anyone?). Delicious, right? This delectable cake has 4 out of the 10 in it! See what I’m saying? Sexy cake. 😉
Here we have your oil-free cake base, with cocoa and a bit of banana, and an ultra-creamy mousse topping made with avocado, almond butter and more chocolate. Plus, it’s topped with some toasted almonds and just a few coconut flakes (which would be great toasted, as well). The whole dessert is super simple to make, and my favorite thing about this type of frosting/mousse amalgamation (say what?) is that it’s even less temperamental than typical vegan butter/powdered sugar frostings and is way better for you.
You could, of course, double the cake recipe and make it into a layer cake! Can you imagine this cake with a layer of almond butter frosting inside, while still covered in the rich, chocolate mousse? Incredible. Why do all of the great ideas come after I’m in the midst of blogging a recipe? Oy.
One Year Ago: Vegetable Tofu Frittata
For the Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (195 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 7/8 cup (200 g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (30 g) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (235 ml) ice cold water
- 1/4 cup (55 g) mashed banana
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Mousse
- 1 1/4 cup (250 g) mashed avocado
- 4 dates, pitted and soaked in hot water for 30 mins.
- 5 tablespoons (25 g) cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup leftover date-soaking water
- 4-5 tablespoons (60-75 ml) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60 g) smooth almond butter
- 1-2 tablespoons rushed/minced toasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes, would be great toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- Using a blender, puree the banana, ACV, vanilla extract and cold water together until just smooth. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and whisk together until smooth, making sure of no powder pockets.
- Get a round, 9″ cake pan out, spread a very thin layer of coconut oil on it and then dust lightly with cocoa powder. Or just use non-stick cooking spray, if that’s what you have on-hand. Pour the batter in, making sure that it’s spread out flat. Bake for 28-35 minutes, or until a toothpick draws clean.
- While the cake is baking, place all of the ingredients for the mousse into a food processor; this mixture is a little too thick for a blender, but you can try it if you’d like. Puree the ingredients completely, check for date clumps, since they seem to be a pain in the butt when it comes to making smooth things.
- Place the mousse in the refrigerator. When the cake is done baking, refrigerate it until cool all of the way through and then spread a 1/4″ to 3/8″ thick layer of mousse all over it. Sprinkle the almonds and coconut over the top, evenly. Serve cool or at slightly under room temperature.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
So, enjoy this Lover’s Chocolate Cake. Feel sexy, in more than one way!
And on an unrelated note, this week has been filled with SO MUCH and some new experiences that I am very excited about. I’m looking to tell you all about it in a dedicated post this week. I hope that you will be just as excited as I am about it!