A trio of tasty brunch beverages, booze optional! Strawberry Lemonade Beer Float, Blueberry Thai Basil, and a refreshing green juice cocktail. Yum!
So, it’s Thursday evening where I’m at, which means that tomorrow is Friday and that we are almost to the weekend (YAY!). Now, this weekend is going to be busy for many people; visiting family and friends, doing Easter activities, etc. This is the post that gets you through all that, or at least gives you something to celebrate the end of the week with.
For as long as I remember, mimosas have been my mom’s choice of brunch beverage, which totally fits the bill of what a morning drink should be. My dad? Bloody Marys. Believe me, I’ve become a pro at making them; and now that I have vegan Worcestershire sauce, it’s all good! But, I think it’s time to switch things up a bit. Time for some refreshing brunch beverages, where the alcohol is optional but a very welcome addition.
Maybe next time, I’ll try my hand at doing a more savory drink; but at this moment in time, I’m feeling the sweet breakfast drink, even if subtly so. The cool combination of cucumber, mint and melon make that juice perfect for waking up. Just take it outside and enjoy in some sun (if it’s sunny where you are), or bring it to your computer desk and look at picture of the beach and transport yourself away. Perhaps a soundtrack of waves crashing would help? 😉
Okay, so one of these isn’t really something that you can drink over and over- I’m looking at you beer float- but hey, go for it! I see it as more of a dessert for the end of the brunch. You can easily make this non-alcoholic by using a suitable Strawberry Soda, and if you can’t find a Strawberry Ale, a wine cooler or malt beverage of the strawberry variety would suffice.
The Blueberry Thai Basil, is really a mojito made over; but, the only thing that remains the same is the use of lime juice and rum. I’ve made this drink fresh and light with sparkling water, seasonal produce and a touch of agave. This is the sophisticated drink of the bunch, so serve it to someone fancy. If that person doesn’t drink, then just leave out the booze! It tastes just as good without.
One Year Ago: Baked Spinach Falafel with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce // Two Years Ago: Vegan Lasagna
Minty Cucumber Melon Juice (Serves 1)
- 1- 7 " Cucumber
- 2 C . Honey Dew Melon, Skin removed, seeds scooped and chopped
- 1 Tbsp . Fresh Mint
- 1 oz Lemon Vodka, Optional
Strawberry Lemonade Beer Float (Serves 1)
- 10-12 oz. Strawberry Ale, Mine was from Samuel Smith Brewery
- 1 Large Scoop of a Vegan Lemon Sorbet or Ice Cream, I used one from WayFare
- Optional: Use Strawberry Soda instead of Beer
Blueberry Thai Basil (Serves 1)
- 1 Tbsp . Fresh Thai Basil Leaves
- 1 Tbsp . Agave
- 2 oz . Light Rum
- 1/4 C . Fresh Blueberries
- 2 tsp . Lime Juice
- 6 oz . Sparkling Water
- Optional: Extra Basil for Garnish
Minty Cucumber Melon Juice
- Juice the cucumber and melon together and set to the side. Place the mint in the bottom of a highball glass. Pour a bit of the juice into the glass and muddle the mint leaves at the bottom.
- Pour the rest of the juice in and drink with ice if you'd like it to be cold.
Strawberry Lemonade Float
- Pour the beer into a 12 or 16 oz. glass, making sure to leave 1 1/2-2" at the top. Carefully place the scoop of lemon ice cream/sorbet into the drink and top with a little more beer if there's room.
- Adorn with a spoon and a straw.
Blueberry Thai Basil
- Place the basil leaves, agave, rum and blueberries into a highball glass and muddle until there are no whole blueberries left.
- Add the lime juice and sparkling water into the glass, stir then add the ice. Serve.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
When looking for alcoholic beverages to use for drinks, make sure to check and see if they are vegan! Barnivore is my favorite tool for this. If you would like to know more about why some alcohol is not vegan, Nicole over at A Dash of Compassion has done a great write-up on it (she talks about wine, but it also applies to beer)!
Cheers, everyone, and have a great weekend!