Delicious and filling Tofu Scramble Breakfast Sandwiches made up of a savory tofu scramble, vegan mozzarella and coconut bacon!
If I were to rate meals in order of desirability for me, it would go something like this: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, and Lunch. What is unfortunate for most vegans is that if you’re looking to dine out for breakfast, it’s probably going to be a little hellacious. That’s why I really enjoy making hearty, delicious breakfast dishes at home.
I think that most people, at some time or another, have eaten an egg sandwich from some sort of fast food establishment. While these Tofu Scramble Breakfast Sandwiches are not one of those, I can tell you that they taste a lot better, and are better for you. Of course, you don’t have to use the bun/English muffin at all; you can just serve it as an awesome scramble!
On a side note, I can’t believe that I forgot to mention the eBook that I just did! I worked with the great team at Vegan Cuts to create recipes for and design their Summer Bash eBook. More importantly, IT’S FREE! So, you basically have no excuse to not check it out. It has been so much fun hearing good feedback on the recipes, and I’m feeling a little proud of how it turned out. Maybe it’s time that I put one out for myself.. 😉
Oh! Did I say that there was coconut bacon involved in this recipe? No? Well, there is, and it’s delicious.
Tofu Scramble Breakfast Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 tsp . Liquid Smoke
- 2 tsp . Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp . Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp . Water
- 1/4 tsp . Smoked Paprika
- Pinch of Onion Powder
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 3/4 C . Coconut Flakes
- 1/2 tsp . Coconut Oil
- 1/2 C . White Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 C . Bell Pepper Seeded and Diced
- 1 C . Packed Kale Rib-less and chopped
- 1-14 oz . Block Extra-Firm Tofu Pressed for 10-15 mins.
- 1 1/2 T . Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 tsp . Salt
- 1/8 tsp . Black Pepper
- A pinch of Dulse Seaweed Flakes
- 1/2 C . Avocado Diced
- tsp Optional: 1/4 . Turmeric for Color
- Vegan Mozzarella or your preferred vegan cheese flavor
- 4 in Vegan English Muffins Sliced half if not pre-cut, I used Ezekiel Brand
- Preheat your (toaster) oven to 325ºF.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients, except for the coconut, in a small bowl. Then toss the coconut flakes in the seasoning until they are evenly coated and spread out into one layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes, mixing the flakes around every 5 minutes to get an even roast.
- You may need to bake it longer depending on your appliance. Toaster ovens are faster than a standard oven, in this case. So, keep an eye on the coconut and make sure that it doesn't burn.
- Warm a large pan over medium heat, once hot, melt the coconut oil in the pan.
- Once hot, saute the onions and garlic for two minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, and kale to the pan and saute until the kale turns a bright color and just slightly wilted. This will take roughly 3 minutes.
- Next, crumble the block of tofu over the pan into (approx.) 1/2" chunks, folding it into the vegetables.
- Stir the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper into the pan and let simmer over low-medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the dulse flakes and diced avocado to the scramble, along with the turmeric if you use it, and stir it in long enough to heat the avocado.
- Toast the English Muffins.
- Then you can either incorporate about 1/4-1/3 C. of Vegan Cheese Shreds into the tofu scramble while it's in the pan (to hold it together better), or melt it on top of the scramble once you place it on the English muffin.
- Either way is good, one is just a teeny bit less messy than the other.
- Sprinkle the coconut bacon on top of the scramble/cheese and place the "bun" topper on. Serve warm!
To end, here’s another lil’ gem from my father, regarding these Tofu Scramble Breakfast Sandwiches:
“I’m really liking these sandwiches, Jack!”
“They’re pretty good, huh? Oh, that’s right, you’ve never had one of my tofu scrambles before! I love them.”
“…This is tofu??!?!”
“No, no, not at all.” 😉
It’s always fun to change someone’s opinion of a food they once abhorred!