A fresh blend of berries and soft, sweet cake make this mixed berry coffee cake a brunch-time winner! It’s best when served with a hot cup of tea or coffee, and great for groups.
I’m pretty confident that many of you have heard of or eaten some kind of baked goods from Entenmann’s Bakery/Hostess. Well, (un)fortunately for my family and I, we live just a couple of miles away from one. When I was younger, we would all go there once a month and stock up on goodies. Soft chocolate chip cookies for me, chocolate covered donuts for my sister, and the occasion coffee cake. Even as a youngin’ I was a huge fan of this wannabe-dessert-breakfast-thingy. Sweet and soft, it was a great snack.
Now, it has been YEARS since I’ve had coffee cake. If I had to guesstimate, the last time I enjoyed one was about a decade ago. Phew. Luckily, I spotted a (non-vegan) recipe for one, that caught my eye, in a food magazine! Instantly, I was inspired to morph it into a compassionate and great-tasting dessert-breakfast-thingy. It took two tries, because apparently I suck at reading directions, but both times it was delicious.
What I have here, is a recipe for mixed berry coffee cake that really isn’t too hard to make, and is a total crowd pleaser. Like it’s namesake, it is impeccable when enjoyed with a hot cup of coffee. (Although, my caffeine has all been iced as of late.) I dare you to leave this cake out on the counter! The second batch that I made of this cake is almost gone, and it was ready to eat just yesterday afternoon. That should give you an idea of just how delectable this stuff is.
Slice off a piece and bring it to a friend, or maybe even a friend that happens to be your hair dresser! I may have done both. Speaking of hair, I’ve gone from nearly platinum-white to a dark maroon. It’s the first time that I’ve gone red in my life, and so far I’m loving it!
One Year Ago: Brown Rice Veggie Roll
Mixed Berry Coffee Cake
A fresh blend of berries and soft, sweet cake make this mixed berry coffee cake a brunch-time winner! (Roughly Adapted from Cook's Secrets Magazine's Fruit Coffee Cake)
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1 cup diced Strawberries
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Corn Starch
- 1/4 teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 1/2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar + enough Non-Dairy Milk to equal 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon Ground Flaxseed
- 3 tablespoon Hot Water
- 1 1/2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Sugar , You could get away with a little less if necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup cold Vegan Butter or Margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold Vegan Butter or Margarine
- In a medium-sized saute pan, heat the blueberries, strawberries and sugar over medium heat, along with half of the water. Bring to a boil and reduce to low-medium heat, stirring occasionally. Whisk the cornstarch and remaining water together, in a small cup, to dissolve the corn starch.
- Once the fruit has broken down a bit, add the cornstarch liquid to the pan and stir. Add the lemon zest, continue to stir until the starch has become clear and the fruit mixture has thickened a little. You want it to be thinner than jelly, but not runny. Take it off the heat and set aside.
Cake and assembly
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and get an 8"x8" baking dish out. You do not need to oil it.
- Pour 1 1/2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar into a 1 C. measuring cup. Then, fill it up to 1/2 C. with Non-dairy milk, this is your buttermilk substitute. Make the flax egg by whisking together the hot water and ground flaxseed in a small bowl/cup and setting it aside to become gelatinous.
- Next, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together, in a large bowl. Cut the vegan butter into to the flour mixture, using two butter knifes or a pastry blender, until it becomes crumbly.
- Stir the flax egg, "butter milk", and vanilla together, then add it to the flour mixture, stir together until there is no loose flour, but do not over mix the dough, it will still be slightly chunky. Divide the dough in half, spreading one half to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Carefully place the berry filling on top of the dough, using spoonfuls at a time; then spreading it out evenly. Use a spoon to place the other half of the dough on top of the berry filling, do not attempt to spread evenly or you will mix it in with the berries. Just place the spoonfuls of dough in one layer over the filling.
- For the cake topping, whisk together the flour and sugar in a small bowl, then cut the vegan butter into it until it is crumbly. Sprinkle this over the top of the coffee cake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is a light-medium golden brown. Wait at least 30 minutes for it to cool, as it is best the closer it is to room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
And, of course, I cleaned up my plate. I definitely see more of this coffee cake in my future!
Lastly, if you’re looking for more treats like this Mixed Berry Coffee Cake, try out the ones below!
Down Home BBQ Burger - Vegan Yack Attack
Wednesday 31st of August 2022
[…] 1 year: Cherry Chocolate Zucchini Bread // 2 years: Apricot Blueberry Creamsicles / 4 years: Herbed Tofu Tomato Salad // 5 years: Mixed Berry Coffee Cake […]
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake - Vegan Yack Attack
Saturday 2nd of April 2022
[…] have a couple versions of this recipe on the site already, like the Mixed Berry and Strawberries & Cream, but I’ve changed up a couple ingredients and measurements with […]
Kimchi Fried Rice - Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking – Vegan Yack Attack
Tuesday 25th of July 2017
[…] year: Mocha Maca Ice Cream Sandwiches // 4 years: Mixed Berry Coffee Cake // 5 years: BBQ Pineapple […]
Mini Persimmon Coffee Cakes - Vegan Yack Attack
Friday 11th of November 2016
[…] on coffee cakes that I’ve made in the past. Basically, I like making them for every season: Mixed Berry, Pumpkin Pie, Strawberries and Cream, and now this Persimmon version! In this recipe, I cut out […]
Vegan Mocha Maca Ice Cream Sandwiches
Saturday 6th of August 2016
[…] year: Green Mojito Smoothie // Two years: Herbed Tofu Tomato Salad // Three years: Mixed Berry Coffee Cake // Four years: Brown Rice Veggie […]