A flavorful, homemade, Soyrizo Guacamole Burger, topped with with an easy guac recipe and grilled veggies!
I have to say, most recipes on this site aren’t made over and over and over again for quality assurance. If I make something once and it turns out exactly how I want it to, I’ll share it with everyone; but occasionally there are recipes that need a little finessing and fine-tuning, this delectable burger being one of them.
Originally, I made these for a Vegan Mexican Food Potluck with some friends, up in Hollywood. The potluck was at a friend’s house, one that you may have heard of. It wasn’t until I got there that I realized that I had seen this place before! It’s the awesome Farmhouse of Hollywood with an incredible backyard and humongous avocado tree, where great things happen.
This place is so charming that I just had to take a couple of photos of it, even then they fall short as far as showing you just how much personality the estate has (I should have taken more!). It’s always fun for me to gather with new people, especially over delicious vegan food. Thank you, Anneke, for sharing your space with us and for the avocados, it made for a good time!
Anyway, I made the first edition of these soyrizo burgers for the potluck and they tasted great, but were a bit too crumbly. The second version was awesome and is where I came up with the idea to roast the jalapeños for the guacamole, but do soyrizo AND tofu really need to be in the same burger? Probably not. So, I have for you the third and final edition of the Spicy Soyrizo Guacamole Burger.
Can I get a hell yeah?
Soyrizo Guacamole Burger
- 1-12 oz . Package of Soyrizo
- 1-15 oz . Black Beans
- 1 T Vegan Egg- Either 1 . Ground Flaxseed + 3 T. Hot Water OR 1/2 T. Egg Replacer Powder + 2 T. Hot Water
- 1/2-1 T . Liquid Aminos
- 1 Jalapeño
- 1 1/2 C . Mashed Avocado
- 2 1/2 T . Salsa
- 1 T . Vegenaise
- 1 T . Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- 1/2 T . Lime Juice
- 1/4-1/2 tsp . Garlic Salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 C . Red Bell Pepper Thinly Sliced
- 1 C . Red or White Onion Thinly Sliced
- 1 tsp . Olive Oil
- 4 Hamburger Buns or Gluten-free bread/buns
- Romaine lettuce or Spinach
- Slices Fresh Tomato
- Slices Extra Roasted Jalapeño
- Turn on your grill so that it can preheat. I had my flame at low-medium or approx. 350-375ºF.
- Place the soyrizo, black beans, vegan egg and liquid aminos into a food processor and pulse until the beans are small pieces. DO NOT puree the mixture; no one likes a mushy burger.
- Tear a large piece of parchment or wax paper into 4 squares. You will form the burger patties on top of these.
- I used a 3 1/2" Ring mold to form patties that were 3/4" inch high. You can do this by hand, and if you want small burgers, try 3" by 1/2", which will give you 6 patties.
- Carefully, flip the patties onto a lightly oiled grill and cook for about 10 minutes, the bottom of the burgers will be darkened slightly.
- While those are cooking, add the jalapeño to the grill and cook until most sides are brown-black. Then place it in a paper bag to cool.
- Again, carefully flip the burgers to cook the other side for 5-7 minutes or until the patty is mostly firm and has grill marks. If you made smaller patties, they will not have to cook as long.
- Toss the bell pepper and onion in the olive oil and grill until wilted, but not burnt. Set aside.
- When the veggies are on the grill, take the jalapeño out of the bag; peel it and slice it, removing the seeds.
- Add it to a food processor along with the avocado, salsa, vegenaise, cilantro, lime juice, garlic salt and black pepper. Pulse until chunky but evenly mixed. Add more salt and pepper if you desire.
- Order of Burger Assembly (from bottom to top): Bottom bun, greens, Soyrizo burger, grilled veggies, guacamole, Optional extra jalapeño, tomato slices, then top bun.
- Serve with margarita to complete this pseudo-Mexican meal!
Have a great weekend and enjoy your Soyrizo Guacamole Burger, everyone! 🙂