A creamy, cheezy butternut squash macaroni with warm Fall seasonings. This slow cooker recipe will make your kitchen smell amazing!
I am fortunate enough to have a copy of Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You, in my possession! I have to say that I’m really excited about this cookbook. I almost never use my slow cooker because the recipes that come out of it are massive. As Kathy mentions in her book, I don’t feel like eating chili for a week straight. Luckily, this brief review and giveaway ties right in with the Born to Mac MoFo festivities, because of this tasty recipe for Cheezy Butternut Squash Macaroni!
This recipe is a little different from most that you’ve seen this month, because it has some comforting Fall herbs and a delicious dose of garlic. Not only that, this pasta is super easy to make, much like a lot of recipes in this cookbook. There are a set of ingredients that you put in at the beginning of the day, and a couple more before serving, and you’re set! The smell of garlic, rosemary and thyme had my whole family salivating.
Another recipe that I tried from this book was the Creamy Tomato Basil Bisque. I’m a total sucker for Tomato Bisque, in general, but you throw in the ease of using a slow cooker and some basil? I’m all yours. Of course, I kind of messed this up by forgetting that I was cooking it, so I REALLY slow cooked the tomatoes. But, you know what? It tasted great anyway. Success!
Another recipe in this book that I want to try out is the Chocolate Pumpkin Brownie Breakfast Quinoa! (WHAT?!) Plus the Lavender Rose Valentine Cocoa, the White Bean Quinoa Gumbo and so many more, sound incredible. The photos are by my friend and extremely talented photographer, Kate Lewis, and they are absolutely drool-worthy.
Two Years Ago: Raw Apple Cinnamon Almond Bars
- 1 1/2 C . Cubed Butternut Squash or Other Winter Squash
- 1/2 C . Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 C . Water
- 3 3-inch Fresh Thyme or 1 1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 2-inch Fresh Rosemary or 1/2 tsp. Dried Rosemary
For the Evening Ingredients:
- 1/4 C . Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1/2 C to 1 . Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 1/2 C . Uncooked Whole-Wheat Macaroni
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
In the morning:
- Add the morning ingredients to the slow cooker (1.5-2 Qt. Slow Cooker). Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
Thirty to 45 minutes before serving:
- Puree the contents of the slow cooker in a blender with the nutritional yeast and 1/2 C. of the Non-Dairy Milk. Add the mixture back into the slow cooker and turn it up to high. Stir in the macaroni, cover, and cook for 20 mins.
- Stir well and add more milk if the sauce is getting too thick. Cook for 15 to 25 minutes more or until the pasta is al dente. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make sure to check on the pasta every 10 minutes or so until you get good at gauging how fast it will cook in your slow cooker. It cooks faster in the smaller slow cooker.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Now, here’s your chance to win a copy of your own! I’m sorry to add that this contest is open to US residents only.
Full Disclosure: A copy of this book was sent to me, in return for posting this recipe/review, my opinions are my own and honest. There are affiliate links in this post which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Also, this recipe was reprinted with approval from Fair Winds.