A flavorful and easy Garlicky Butternut Squash Sandwich made with vegan garlic mayo, arugula and toasted bread!
I’m a little worried, and it’s probably not what you think. I may or may not be addicted to sandwiches. Of course, there are worse problems to have, but I used to be indifferent to the carb-loaded, tasty meals. If I saw one that looked good, I’d go for the wrap (which are also very good) without a second thought. Now, I’m stuffing whatever combination of foods I can between two toasty slices of bread to see what I can come up with.
What makes sandwiches so appealing is that they are pretty low-maintenance, relatively easy to eat (depending on how large you make it), and damn delicious. With all of the recipes that I’ve been making for the Great Vegan Pumpkin eBook and the Fall Vegan Cuts eBook I’ve been low on time for much else, and this sandwich really hit the spot. In it are a few of my favorite things: Arugula, Garlic, Vegenaise, and obviously, Butternut Squash.
These ingredients are easy-to-find and (mostly) healthy! Although, after all of the squash that I’ve been eating I may turn orange. But, I digress, the warm, roasted butternut squash against the peppery arugula and toasted bread create a wonderful world of flavor and texture. Go ahead and throw some Roasted Garlic Vegenaise in that bad boy and you’ve got yourself a party!
You could easily make your own Vegan roasted garlic mayo but roasting a head of garlic, with the top chopped off and brushed with olive oil, at the same time as your butternut squash. Then blend it with a cup of vegan mayo and you’re good to go. I dare you not to eat this on everything that you can. I’ve had to switch between this flavor and the chipotle so that I don’t OD on either one. (SO GOOD!!)
Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 1/2 lb . Butternut Squash, peeled
- 1 tsp . Coconut Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 Pieces Whole Wheat Bread, or your favorite bread
- 2 T . Roasted Garlic Vegenaise, or homemade as directed above
- 2 C . Baby Arugula or Chopped Arugula
- slices Thinly Sliced Red Onion, the amount of depends on your personal preference
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Get a baking sheet out and line it with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Take your peeled Butternut Squash and cut a 1/2" thick slice out of the bulbous bottom, width-wise. Scoop the seeds out of this slice as well as the rest of the squash. Continue cutting the squash into 1/2" thick slices and place them on the baking sheet.
- Take the coconut oil (with your fingers or a brush) and spread a very thin layer on top of each squash slice. Sprinkle roughly a 1/4-1/2 tsp. of sea salt over the slices along with some black pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- When the squash is done baking, let it cool for 3-5 minutes, while you toast your bread. Next, spread 1 1/2 tsp. of vegan mayo onto each slice of bread. Divide the butternut squash slices and stack them onto two pieces of bread.
- Carefully pile 1 cup of arugula onto each squash base, then the red onion slices. Top with the remaining bread and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g