A lighter take on the comforting Broccoli Cheddar Quiche. Filled with tons of nutrients and lower on oils & fats.
Oh, Quiche. This meal brings up so many feelings and memories, ones of comfort and family time; and maybe a little over-indulgence. When I was younger, I would always get really excited when my mom brought out the premade pie dough to thaw out, because I knew what we were in store for later that day. Typically she made two different types of Quiche, one was ham & cheese and the other was spinach & cheese. Both had lots of egg, cheese, condensed milk and probably some other things that aren’t terribly good for you.
But, man, the aroma that they had when they were baking. It would fill the house and hug you, while infiltrating your nasal passages. It was hard to wait for it to cool down until it was ready to eat! Although, I still have that problem, as you can see by my last picture. 😉 Now, I’ve made something similar to a Quiche before, and it turned out great. This time I wanted something comforting but still healthy, and definitely convenient.
Here it is, a Broccoli Cheddar Quiche! I had my mom try it out and she gave it her stamp of approval, so I’m pretty confident that you’ll be able to serve this with a smile, knowing that people will like it. While this Quiche isn’t necessarily a labor of love in that it takes a lot of work, it does take some time, so plan accordingly. I’m lucky enough to have premade whole wheat vegan pie crusts at my local Sprouts Market, but you’re welcome to use your favorite 9″ pie crust recipe.
Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
- 1 lb . Peeled and Seeded Winter Squash I used pumpkin
- 1 C . Water
- 1 tsp . Coconut Oil
- 1 C . White Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 C . Chopped Broccoli Florets
- 1-14 oz . Package of Firm Tofu Drained
- 1 C . Vegan Cheddar Shreds +3 T. for Topping
- 3 T . Organic Corn Starch
- 1 tsp . Sea Salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp . Black Pepper
- 1- 9 " Pie Crust
- Chop the winter squash up into 1/2" cubes and place it in a large pan with the cup of water. Cover with the lid and bring to a boil, then reduce heat so that the water simmers. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the squash is fork tender.
- Remove the lid and allow the excess water to evaporate if there is some remaining, then add the coconut oil, onion, garlic and broccoli to the pan.
- Cook until the onions are clear and the broccoli has softened, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the tofu to the mixture, crumbling it in your hands over the pan. Stir in the cheddar shreds, along with the cornstarch. Use a potato masher to mash the mixture together until all pieces are small crumbles, but not mushy.
- Make sure that the cornstarch has dissolved and the shreds have melted, then season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Put the Quiche filling into the pie crust and spread out evenly. Tap the pie pan down a couple of times to release air bubbles.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar shreds over the top of the Quiche. Cover the crust edges with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes, removing the foil for the last 15 minutes.
- Once the Quiche is done, you will need to put it on a cooling rack for 20-25 minutes or it will not be set. (As you can see from my last picture, I didn't wait long enough!) Serve warm.
- You can reheat leftovers in a toaster over or oven, at 300F for 6-8 minutes.
I have some exciting news to add! Ashlee from The Little Foxes and Cadry of Cadry’s Kitchen each have a recipe and a giveaway going on their blogs for The Great Vegan Pumpkin eBook. Make sure to check those out and enter for your chance to win a copy! 🙂