A delicious recipe for the Empowered Noodle Bowl with lots of veggies, and a Thai peanut sauce; from The Oh She Glows Cookbook!
Believe me when I say that her cookbook has all of that and more. Great for cooks of any level, beginner to expert, pleasing to all kinds of palates and lots of helpful information. Of course, I love that there are TONS of photos, all drool-worthy and taken by Angela. Because I had to drive off to Indio to start working for Coachella, I was only able to make two recipes. But, I really liked the ones that I did make!
Firstly, I made the Empowered Noodle Bowl with the Thai Peanut Sauce option, which was SUPER colorful and overflowing with veggies of all kinds. The flavors all worked well together and the sauce, oh the sauce was SO good!
The other recipe that I ended up making was the Gym Rat Smoothie; almost purely because of how easy it was to make and because I had all of the ingredients on hand. I have to say, I don’t usually add oats to my smoothies, but this drink was as tasty as it was filling. It will certainly be a regular in my kitchen!
I can’t wait to try more recipes from this book! 😀
FOR THE THAI PEANUT SAUCE:
- 1 clove large garlic
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, 30 mL
- 3 tablespoons natural smooth peanut butter or almond butter, 45 mL
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger, 10 mL, optional
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more as needed, 45 mL
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon low-sodium tamari, 37 mL
- 1 to 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, 5 to 10 mL
FOR THE ORANGE-MAPLE MISO DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons light miso, 45 mL
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 30 mL
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, 15 mL
- 1 tablespoon tahini, 15 mL
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice, 60 mL
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, 5 mL
FOR THE SALAD:
- 4 ounces gluten-free soba noodles, 115 g, buckwheat
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for the noodles
- 16-ounce bag frozen shelled edamame, thawed, 454-g
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ⁄2 seedless cucumber, diced, English
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 4 green onions, chopped, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, 60 mL
- Sesame seeds, for serving
- Make the Thai Peanut Sauce: In a mini or regular food processor, combine the garlic, sesame oil, peanut butter, ginger (if using), lime juice, tamari, sugar (if using), and 2 to 3 tablespoons (30–45 mL) water. Process until combined. -OR- Make the Orange-Maple Miso Dressing: In a mini or regular food processor, combine the miso, vinegar, sesame oil, tahini, orange juice, water, and maple syrup and process until well combined.
- Make the Salad: Cook the soba noodles according to the instructions on the package. Be sure not to overcook them—they should only take 5 to 9 minutes, depending on the brand. Drain the noodles and rinse them under cold water. Transfer the noodles to a large bowl and toss them with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil (this prevents the noodles from sticking together).
- Add the edamame, bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, green onions, and cilantro to the bowl with the noodles and toss until well combined.
- Pour your desired amount of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. (Any leftover dressing will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.)
- Portion the salad into 4 bowls and garnish each serving with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and some green onions. Serve any leftover dressing on the side.
Tips: For a soy-free Thai Peanut Sauce, replace the tamari with coconut aminos. To make this dish completely soy-free, omit the edamame as well.
If you need a soy-free and gluten-free miso, look for chickpea miso. My go-to brand is South River Miso and it’s absolutely lovely in this sauce.
For a raw version, serve this noodle bowl with spiralized or julienned zucchini (see page 23), instead of the soba noodles.
Reprinted by arrangement with AVERY, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © GLO BAKERY CORPORATION, 2014.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 906mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 16g
The nutrition information is calculated by a plug-in, and isn't always accurate. Please calculate your own with the products that you use, as it will be different for everyone.