Beefy Jackfruit Tacos with grilled fajita veggies and seasoned sour cream sauce. Easy and perfect for summer!
I have to be honest, I’ve never prepared jackfruit on my own before. Of course, I’ve enjoyed BBQ Jackfruit Sliders and the like, but it was never very easy to find. But, now that I work at Whole Foods, I found out that my location has the canned jackfruit in brine and I couldn’t be more stoked. For my first homemade jackfruit recipe I thought that I’d try it out with Massel’s Concentrated Liquid Stock, Beef-Style; which is vegan and gluten-free!
Now, the texture didn’t come out quite as firm as I would have liked, but the jackfruit tasted great all the same. One of the best parts of these Beefy Jackfruit Tacos is that it’s all prepared on the grill. Of course there’s some marinated and mixing, but it’s seriously low effort. I’d also like to mention that this was my first time grilled tomatillos, and oh my goodness you guys, SO GOOD. I’ve used them in green salsas before, but this- this I’ll have to do more often.
To balance out the savory, warm components of this recipe, I made a seasoned sour cream sauce to drizzle on top. I may have cheated and used Tofutti, but if you want to go the homemade route, blend 2/3 C. raw cashews with 1/4 C. water for a creamy sauce base, then stir in seasonings.
I must mention that using the concentrated liquid stock shortened marinating time immensely and really added significant flavor to the jackfruit. It is a tad on the salty side so taste your marinade and adjust accordingly; keep in mind that the end product won’t be as potent as the marinade itself. Massel actually sent some of their products for me to try out, so I’ll definitely be using another one soon, and hosting a giveaway, too! So, keep an eye out for that. 😀
- 1 1 lb. 4oz. Can Green Jackfruit in Brine, Drained
- 1/3 C. Massel Liquid Stock Concentrate- Beef Style
- 1/3 C. Water
- 2 T. Cooking Oil, Olive, Sunflower, etc.
- 1 T. Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
Grilled Fajita Mix
- 1 C. Red Bell Pepper, Sliced into strips
- 1 C. Red Onion, Sliced
- 1 C. Tomatillos, Chopped
- 1 T. Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
Sour Cream Sauce
- 1/3 C. Vegan Sour Cream
- 1-2 T. Water or Lime Juice
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
- 4 6″ Tortillas
- Green Onions for garnish, optional
- For the jackfruit filling: Drain the jackfruit completely in a colander, break into slightly smaller chunks and press slightly to get most of the moisture out.
- Place the jackfruit into a shallow container and whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small cup. Pour over the jackfruit and let marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- For the Grilled Fajita Mix: Toss all ingredients together in a mixing bowl until even coated in oil, salt & pepper. Set aside.
- For the Sour cream sauce, whisk together all ingredients, adjusting the amount of liquid added depending on your texture preference.
- Heat your BBQ to 350-375F, once hot spread the jackfruit and fajita veggie mix out over the grill, and pour the remaining marinade over the jackfruit. Cook for 5 minutes on one side.
- Turn everything over and cook for another 5 minutes. Repeat until the veggies and jackfruit are slightly charred, cook time defers between grills.
- Toast the tortillas on the grill for 1 minute (or less) on each side. Assemble with jackfruit in the center of the tortilla, top with fajitas, a healthy drizzle or dollop of sauce and some green onions. Serve warm!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
I will also be posting a recap of my trip to Italy, soon! The great, the tasty and the lame. At least the photos are cool!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post in that Massel sent me product to use for a recipe of my creation and I was compensated for it. All opinions are honest and my own. Best believe that I wouldn’t share a crappy product with you! 😉