I think the nickname for this month’s theme should be Carbs on Carbs on Carbs, but that doesn’t sound nearly as fun as Return of the Mac MoFo; plus I can’t imagine that the theme song would be as fabulous. Either way, I feel like some of the creations this month with be carb-tastic! Also, I don’t think you’d expect it, but this carb-pile is gluten-free. So, those of you that don’t eat it will be stoked to make these Macho Mac and Cheese Nachos.
Before we dig in to this macho nacho recipe, I have to share something with you guys. I hired my dear friend and AWESOME illustrator, Nick Sawyers, to draw up a couple of ideas of mine for stickers (and maybe shirts?) for Vegan Yack Attack. Below is how the first design came out and I am absolutely in love with it! And, in case you were wondering, you can buy them under my “VYA Shop!” tab or here; and yes, that is a three-eyed piece of tofu. 😉
I’m strongly considering running a shirt in this design, so if you think you’d be interested in it, please let me know! I also can’t wait to show you the next design, which is pretty hilarious.
Now, back to the MACHO MAC NACHOS! Blue corn chips contrast perfectly with the creamy cheese sauce that is flecked with black beans and corn, then is topped with fresh red peppers, green onions, buttery avocado, spicy salsa and smooth sour cream. I won’t lie, I cheated a little by using some store-bought products, but you could easily make everything yourself.
I’m going to try to get you another recipe post tomorrow or Friday, but it may be a little rough because tomorrow is.. dun nuh nuh nuuuuuh… My Birthday! Yay!? The plan is to bake a cake and ice skate in the morning, lunch, maybe get a fun tattoo then dinner with my dad and Corey. Sounds good to me!
For those of you that take on this monster, enjoy the hell out of it, because I know that you will! 🙂
Macho Mac and Cheese Nachos
This dish is a party in your mouth! Crunchy blue corn chips, creamy nacho mac and cheese, plus all of the toppings and it’s gluten-free!
- For the sauce
- 1/2 cup hot vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, diced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- For the mac
- 1 cup gluten-free macaroni or other pasta
- 1/2 cup black beans, cooked
- 1/3 cup yellow corn kernels, cooked
- For the assembly
- 4-5 cups Blue Corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup avocado, sliced
- Large dollop of vegan sour cream
- Large spoonful of salsa
- Optional: sliced black olives
- Serve with lime wedges
- For the sauce
- Place the veggie broth, cashews and vegan cheddar shreds in a blender and puree until very smooth. Add the jalapeno and hot sauce to the sauce and pulse until the jalapeno pieces are smaller.
- Set aside until pasta is cooked.
- For the mac
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, then drain and return to pot.
- Pour the sauce into the pasta, along with the beans and corn and stir until combined.
- Set aside.
- For assembly
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spread the chips out over a baking sheet (round or small rectangle)and sprinkle the lettuce over the chips.
- Then pour the mac on top of the chips in a consistent layer, along with the bell peppers, green onion, and cilantro.
- Place the nachos in the oven for 10 minutes then take out and garnish with the rest of the toppings. Serve warm.
Find more mac recipes, like the Vegan Macho Mac and Cheese Nachos, here: MACARONI MOFO!