Super-moist pumpkin banana nut muffins with sweet chocolate chips. Perfect for fall, and for sharing with friends. You can also freeze some for later!
One of the downsides of living in Southern California is that it may be Autumn on the calendar but it’s only now getting into the mid-70s. What are seasons? I’m usually in Michigan this time of the year, visiting family, but I don’t foresee that happening anytime soon. So, I don’t think I’ll actually get a dose of cool weather until January. (Wah, right?) But, I am super thankful that it’s under 80F right now, so I’ve decided that turning on the oven doesn’t seem like a cruel punishment!
If I was to tell you that I didn’t care about pumpkin, I’d be lying. Although, I can definitely say that I love ALL squash, and that I think Pumpkin (spice) hogs the spotlight a little too much. Alas, sometimes I just need to satiate that pumpkin craving, and these muffins were perfect for that. I modified the Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread recipe from my Great Vegan Pumpkin eBook, added some ingredients and made them into single-servings for a tasty breakfast idea.
Another thing that I’ve been doing lately is directing more of my attention to my freelance photography work and keeping my portfolio up to date, so if you want to see a little of what I do outside of Vegan Yack Attack, give it a look! The latest post is of the wedding that I shot in early September and I love how the photos turned out!
I’ve also been trying to have more fun with my camera and equipment, so Corey and I have done a couple of random shoots here and there; one of them being a pumpkin shoot (as depicted below)! Did you know that you can buy levitating pumpkins? 😉
Back to the recipe! These pumpkin banana nut muffins are ULTRA-moist, filled with spices, crunchy pecans, and rich chocolate chips. Are you drooling yet? Well, there’s also pumpkin, super-ripe bananas and some whole wheat flour for some healthiness. Make these on a Saturday morning for a perfect breakfast snack paired with a warm cup of coffee.
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) hot water
- 2 tablespoons (10 g) ground flaxseed
- 1 1/2 cups (221 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (210 g) organic sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon (10 g) pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 15-ounce (425 g) can pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup (121 g) banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup (55 g) coconut oil, slightly melted
- 1 tablespoon (17 g) molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (57 g) chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup (78 g) vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 12-count cupcake pan.
- Whisk together the hot water and ground flaxseed and set aside for 5 minutes. Sift together the flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the flaxseed egg, pumpkin, banana, coconut oil, molasses and vanilla extract together until mostly smooth. Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until there are no dry spots. Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips until combined.
- Divide the dough between 12 cupcake liners, they will be slightly higher than the liners. Bake for 28-32 minutes or until an inserted toothpick draws clean. Place the muffins on a cooling rack and cool for 5-10 minutes before eating.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
If you would like to try some SUPER GOOD pumpkin recipes, check out my eBook below! (Available from October 1st to December 1st every year)