Cute and tasty Peanut Butter Apple-Lanterns appetizers that come together quickly and are perfect for Halloween and Kid snacks!
Halloween is just around the corner, which means that themed parties are in full swing and fun food ideas are everywhere! This cute appetizer/dessert came to me after staring at some adorable crab apples for about a half hour trying to figure out just what the heck to do with them. Should I cut them up and use them in pies? Maybe I should poach them in wine… or what if I cut them into eyeballs? Nope, little apple-lanterns it is!
Of course I had to stuff them with peanut butter and raisins, although a vegan caramel filling would be great, as well. Now, you don’t have to carve the little faces into each one if you’re making a lot for a party, but it really does make them that much more awesome. You could also cut the face all of the way through to have slightly oozy, creepy, peanut butter apple-lanterns.
If you need another Halloween appetizer idea, check out my Stuffed Mushroom Eyeballs!
- 1 pound (455 g) small crab apples, 9 apples in this case or 4 gala apples
- 1/4 cup (35 g) raisins
- 1/4 cup (64 g) melted smooth peanut butter*
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cut the top 1/4 off of each apple in a zig-zag line (like you would a pumpkin). Take a melon baller and scoop out the inside, leaving 1/4″ inch-thick wall in the apple; make sure there are no holes in the bottom.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Use a knife to cut very shallow lines into the skin of the apple for eyes and a smile. Only cut out the skin, not all of the way through.
- Place each apple on a baking sheet. Stir the raisins, melted peanut butter, maple syrup, and ground cinnamon together, then divide the mixture between all of the apples.
- Place the apple tops back on the apple-lanterns then bake them for 13-15 minutes or until they have shrunken slightly and are fork tender. Or bake 4 regular-sized apples for 20 minutes. Wait 10 minutes before serving, and serve warm.
- If avoiding nuts, sunflower butter will work great here!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8Serving Size: 1 small apple
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 177Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 7gSugar: 31gProtein: 1g
The nutrition information is calculated by a plug-in, and isn't always accurate. Please calculate your own with the products that you use, as it will be different for everyone.