These Squash & Scramble Breakfast Tacos make for a delicious start to the day. High in protein, tasty, and easy-to-make!
I know that this will not come as a shock to anyone else, but fall is here! Seriously though, Southern California is (finally) getting some cool, cloudy weather and it’s a magical thing. Now, to just get some rain and I’ll be happy! I’ve even been inspired to take some photos of plant’s reactions to the changes, as seen below.
The weather has brought on more cravings for comforting, filling food and I am certainly not mad about it. I’ve had soups, casseroles, pies and tacos (?!) on the mind – that last one must be a California thing – and I can’t wait to make them all! Oh, and before I forget, I may or may not have completed a cookbook proposal to turn in to a couple of publishers that had contacted me. Keep your fingers crossed for some good news! 🙂
Back to tacos. I’ve had breakfast tacos on my recipe to-do list for quite some time, but it wasn’t until I saw my friend post some awesome hash brown Gardien tacos the other day that I decided it was about damn time that I got in on such a delightful meal. These Squash & Scramble Breakfast Tacos are filled with a squash/potato hash and a tasty tofu/spinach scramble. You should absolutely top these bad boys with fresh cilantro, salsa and maybe some vegan cheese shreds. I suppose avocado wouldn’t hurt either. 😉
There’s another recipe that I want to make before Thanksgiving that I’ve had on my mind for over a year, that I think you will either absolutely love, or be like, “Jackie, you are crazy”. We’ll see what happens!
Squash Potato Hash
- 1/2 lb. acorn squash; peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 lb. red-skinned potatoes; peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup tempeh bacon, from health-food stores, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive or sunflower oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh-cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 14 oz. block extra-firm tofu, pressed for 15 minutes
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash of turmeric for color
- 1/2 teaspoon black Indian salt aka Kala Namak
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 12 small corn tortillas
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (suggested)
- Salsa, suggested
- Vegan cheese shreds, suggested
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place all hash ingredients into a large bowl and toss together until the oil has evenly coated the pieces. Spread the veggies over the parchment paper in a single layer and place in the oven.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until the potatoes/squash are fork tender. While the hash is roasting, get a large skillet out and warm the oil in it over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully crumble the extra firm tofu into the skillet and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir the nutritional yeast, onion powder and turmeric into the tofu and cook for another minute or so. Season the scramble with the black Indian salt, then add the spinach to the skillet. Stir together until wilted and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the hash is done, warm the tortillas in the oven for a minute or two. You can either stir the hash into the scramble, then divide it amongst the tortillas, or divide both hash and scramble amongst the tortillas separately. Finish the tacos off with the suggested toppings (or don’t!) and serve immediately.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
It may be an unorthodox breakfast, but this would be great to serve at a weekend brunch! Especially with a couple of red beers (tomato juice, hot sauce + beer). 😀