Delicious, gluten-free, plant-based, SUPER-VEGGIE Pot Pies from Yum Universe by Heather Crosby!
I’ll get right to the point: today and for the following week, you’ll have a chance to win your own copy of YumUniverse: Infinite Possibilities for a Gluten-Free, Plant-Powerful, Whole-Food Lifestyle by Heather Crosby, of YumUniverse! Exciting, right? The answer you’re looking for is, “Hell yeah!”
This book is more than a colorful and eye-catching cookbook, it is a thorough guide to gluten-free, plant-based eating. Heather starts out with explaining WHY you should try out a plant-based diet, listing off the benefits (there are many!) then spends a while teaching you HOW to achieve it talking about pantry staples, prep, appliances and social situations.
After all of that comes the stuff that I’m into, beautiful breakfasts (banana pancakes!), baked goods, toppings/sauces/spreads, entrees (fig & caramelized onion tart!), desserts (Mexican unfried ice cream!), and more. You may want to grab a napkin or bib before looking through this book, because I’m pretty sure that you’re going to drool on it.
I do have to point out that there are a few recipes where she uses honey, and I’m sure that’s why they call this book “plant-based” instead of “vegan”, just make sure to use agave nectar or maple syrup instead!
Now, you lucky readers get to see one of the tasty recipes that I made from the book, the Super-Veggie Pot Pies! I made these into larger containers than listed in the recipe and they came out to a perfect 4, filling, servings. Making gluten-free crust was fun and I’ll definitely have to try it out again. After the recipe, you’ll find where to enter the giveaway for a copy of YumUniverse! (US residents only, sorry!)
Individual Super-Veggie Pot Pies
Vegetable Pie Filling
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil*
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 1 cup sweet potato diced
- ¼ cup dry white wine*
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2-4 leaves kale stems removed, chopped well
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked (1/3 cup dry*)
- 1 ½ teaspoons thyme leaves
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chickpea miso
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch/flour
- ¼ cup cashews soaked
- 1 ½ cups sorghum flour
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup + 1 teaspoon coconut oil*
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Warm a skillet to medium-high, add coconut oil, onion, celery, carrots, sweet potato, and wine. Saute for 7 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- While veggies cook, add all sauce ingredients to a blender. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a fork to combine all crust ingredients until crumbly and starting to stick together.
- Add kale, green peas, chickpeas, thyme, and sauce to your skillet, and stir for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and fill ramekins almost to the top with the filling.
- If you’re rolling out a crust, roll dough into a ball with your hands, place on a sheet of parchment paper, and top with another piece of parchment. Roll, then peel back top layer. Cut pieces of dough to cover the entire top of the ramekin. If you’re doing a crumble crust, break up dough with fork and sprinkle over top of filling — cover the entire top.
- Bake ramekins for 25 – 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Enter the giveaway below! 🙂